brake light problems...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake light problems...

Hey there people...just wanna say this is my first post. I've been lurking here previously but got all the info I needed without posting. this forum rocks!!! Having said that I'll get to my problem at hand....Someone told me my brake lights were out so I checked 'em. the light in the back window still comes on when you hit the brakes....but not the other two tailights...so i'm thinkin' WTF....it didn't seem feasible that both my bulbs would go at once so I checked anyway and sure enough both filaments in both bulbs were intact. I checked with an electrical tester
    and there was no power when pushed the pedal. I thought it was the pedal switch so I went and got one at napa and connected it and the same thing....
    window light comes on, no taillights. I checked the fuses under the dash and under the hood and everythings good there...ALL of my other lights work fine....I checked the wires leading to the taillights, and can't see any obvious damage I worked them around a bit to seem if was a loose connection but no luck. Sooooo.... Now i'm thinkin'...what if I tap into the wires going into the rear window brakelight...after all, it's still workin....BUT..before I start ****in around doin' that I was hoping someone smarter than I can tell me if that's a good idea or not. I don't want to make a bigger problem. I was thinking that my problem could be a bad ground but I have no idea where that would be. Is there anyway to test this theory? There's my dilemna folks...hope y'all can help. peace

Answering my own questions.....

Well...anyone following this thread...let it be known that i've solved my perplexing brake light problem. I went to napa and returned the unused pedal switch and then I got me some wire taps and auto wire and returned to the garage. I tapped into the power lead for the rear window brake light and then...to see if I was going to get the right leads for the taillights I put an umbrella on the brake pedal and wedged it down. Then I poked my rear window lead into the connector to the taillight assembly. On one side I got the sgnal light to come on...and that was it for that assembly...hmmm, I thought....and then I checked the other assembly the same way. by jove I got the signal light to go on and the next lead I tried lit up the brake light. Eu-phucken-reka! I'm thinking...how odd the other assembly on the driver side didn't light up....I examined the bulb very closely...yep, those filaments were intact...so I got more detective and pulled both bulbs and hooked em up to the rear window lead one at a time. welllllll.....one wasn't lighting up. I put it back in the assembly and touched the lead that was sposed to go it...and i saw some very tiny lil' flicker go through the bulb. still not convinced that my problem was anything short of a short....I take a walk to the gas station down the street. They only have two kinds of bulbs there a 2057 and an 1157 and I knew my Pro takes an 1157 so I got a pair and broght em back....wellll **** me! If that wasn't my ****in problem this whole time. Wooohoooo!back in business baby...we're ridin' legit.The previous owner must've changed both bulbs when the last one burnt out and didn't use the right replacements. Right on...I'm in vancouver and there's two feet of snow out there and I was greatly concerned some idiot was gonna rear end me. But perseverance paid off in the end...although it cost me a few bucks more I done learned some ****. peace y'all.

Comment

Working...
    X