X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found a car...

http://www.mautofied.com/listing-100033925.html

A good Buy or not?

Did you find it but not buy it yet? I don't know, man. There's just something about buying a car from the 80's that says DON"T DO IT! I mean, if it were some 1981 Camaro or something. I say buy something from 96 and up since they all come with the OBDII system and 95 and up has the updated A/C system. Is it the turbo that does it for you?

Comment

I found it didnt buy it yet, but yea the turbo tickles a little something in me

Comment

I'd prefer to never own an OBDII car.

Anyways, that is a bit overpriced for such an old car, especially with the mileage it has on it.

Comment

OBDII is nice for helping diagnose all those 20 million new sensors that you don't really need but when it comes to mods your kind of limited as your max emissions allowed is a good bit lower then older non ODBII cars!
          **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
          95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Yeah, I understand why OBDII would bother you guys. I don't do almost any mods engine-wise. If any, they will be for aesthetics(looks)only. When I bought my previous Proty(95) for $300 because it barely ran, I scanned it through the OBDII connector. A $25 used MAF Sensor because of the code result and I had a full functioning Protege. I had to connect vacuum lines correctly too but that didn't get the car running right. Only the MAF sensor cured the problem. Since I don't care for making my cars faster, other than maybe a full engine swap, I won't buy a car older than 96 or the few 95's that included the OBDII system. I have to admit I loved both my 1st gens but since they never gave me problems, I didn't need OBDI or II or anything! It took crashes to put an end to both. Man, OBDII must be a full-scale headache for modding. I can only imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by mannydingo View Post
              Yeah, I understand why OBDII would bother you guys. Since I don't care for making my cars faster, other than maybe a full engine swap, I won't buy a car older than 96 or the few 95's that included the OBDII system. Man, OBDII must be a full-scale headache for modding. I can only imagine.
              Yup, and that's why I never want to own a car newer than '96, or at least an OBD II car.

It's all about emissions now.

Comment

On a side note, my useless neighbor brought home a MX-6 GT Turbo fully loaded with perfect Bright Red paint, a great looking interior, and an impressive running engine about 4 years ago and I have had the unfortunate ability of watching him systematically destroy that car in that time, I mean the paint is faded, the turbo won't even spool anymore, and the tranny clunks, not to mention the shredded interior. Just recently he plowed it into a truck and is sitting in his driveway, I hate looking at it cause I would have taken care of it, it's really a sad looking Mazda now.

Just wanted to share that little story since this thread was about the same car only a couple years older.

Looking for an Interplay Bumper!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jho View Post
                  It's all about emissions now.

And thanks to Governor Jeb Bush and friends, we don't have emissions testing anymore. Yeah! You guys can keep the air cleaner for all of us.

Comment

not to be a nay sayer... but the seller has no idea what he's talking about and that's way too much for a car that's notorious for blowing head gaskets. i spent just over that for my 88 gtx, and it's in way better condition and about 40x more rare.

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
                    1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
                    1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
                    1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
                    1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

Im still looking around for other mazdas but what would be the most you would pay for it?

Comment

can't say i'm a huge fan of any mx-6's but at very most 2k.... and i could find a lot of cars i'd rather have at that price range...

1988 White GTX - #1 parts
                        1988 Black GTX - #2 reliably broken touge monstar (294,000 miles no rebuilds) - dead
                        1988 Blue GTX - #3 in progress (view here)
                        1988 Blue GTX - #4 BPT swapped weekend warrior.
                        1988 White GTX - #5 Rally car

Comment

i wouldn't pay more than a grand for that

188k mazda thats almost 20 years old? i dont think so

Comment

Yeah, I'd pay $1k, $1500 would be pushing it.

Comment

if you can, do it. My parents had the 1988 626 GT, and this is the MX6 GT. It's worth it. Theirs still boosted to 10psi at 205K miles, turbo never rebuilt. Only work they had was 3 boys hot rodding it and 3 radiators replaced. Solid car, fast, A LOT of low end torque. Full boost kicks around 3200, starts building at 2800 rpm. Needs a LSD bad though, serious torque steer. And the electronic shocks are sweet. with good tires, and the "sport" setting, it'll handle double the posted speed limit, even the "suggested" speeds (not saying you should though).

offer $1500 max, like Jho says, otherwise it's wasting money.
                              No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Working...
                              X