1991 sohc protege, dohc bp swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1991 sohc protege, dohc bp swap

wats up quys. my friend just bought a sohc 1991 protege. he wants me to install a dohc engine. is was just wandering wat all is involved with this swap. wat if any electrical wiring, i was under the impression the dohc engine came with something called vics?? which i dont think the sohc has so how would that be wired? ANY and ALL help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

welcome to club protege.

this is a great resourse section you can read.

basically you need the engine,tranni,ecu and wiring harness. you'll also need the axles from a lx. there might be more but thats about all i can think of.

vics is inside the intake manni. its a set of 4 butterflies that open to increase airflow. it kinda has that vtec feel.

good luck. have your friend join clubprotege. he will be addicted to his car if he does. hell you might become addicted yourself. let us know how it goes.
    1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
    1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
    2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
    2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
    .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

thanks so much for your help. your car looks awesome he is going to like it. i will tell him about the site. and again thanks for your help.

Comment

Welcome to Club Protege.

It's a really easy and straight forward swap. The BP/G-series combo can be found in a variety of vehicles which makes it easy to find.

90-94 Protege LX/GT, 91-96 EGT/LX-E/Tracer LTS, and 94-97 Kia sephia GS.

Good luck with your swap, let us know how it goes. If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask, and get your friend on here NOW!

Comment

ok guy thanks for you help. he is in the process of getting a computer and everything so when he gets set up he will join. as far as perfomance is concerned weither it be aftermarket or oem upgrades. where can he fine cams. camgears, etc.

Comment

wat is a dohc swapped dx protege capable of as far as hp. speeds. wat car classes could it race with. stuff like that. i myself have a honda civic hatch cx that i recently built a jdm b18c type r egine for the drah strip and am looking for another car to play with on the side and the more i read and see about proteges i am highly thinking of getting one myself.

Comment

Anything internal for the miata will fit in the protege dohc. 94-97 miata has the same engine.

Mazda and Mazdaspeed performance parts since 1998. Precision-engineered at an unbeatable value. 1-360-260-2675 - CorkSport Mazda Performance

Here's some links just to get you started. Like I said before search them 1st gen forums and you'll find a lot of usefull info. Also if the is a specific part you want to inquire about there's a search buttom at the top.
              1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
              1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
              2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
              2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
              .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by b18cciviccx View Post
                wat is a dohc swapped dx protege capable of as far as hp. speeds. wat car classes could it race with. stuff like that. i myself have a honda civic hatch cx that i recently built a jdm b18c type r egine for the drah strip and am looking for another car to play with on the side and the more i read and see about proteges i am highly thinking of getting one myself.
                Here is some good information: http://www.protegefaq.net/

The BP(DOHC) is an awesome platform, and meant to be turboed. Proteges are great cars, very reliable, and very fun. You won't be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                X