Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dead e12K.44?

Hi to all!

A few days ago my sub stopped playing. I was listening to some music and all of a sudden my bass disappeared. I thought that the amp had switched off because my remote wire ain't that good and from time to time I have to fix it, but that wasn't the reason. The amp is working - lights come on, and the status LED is GREEN. I checked all connections and all seems to be OK but there is no sound coming out from the sub. Today I got the sub out of the box and tried measuring the resistance across the voice coils.... I couldn't measure anything - the meter says 0L (overload). Infinite resistance means "open circuit" and if that's the case then my sub's voice coils are dead - both of them.

A week ago I noticed that when the driver moves I can hear some screeching/grinding in it. That got me worried but since it was working and showed no other simptoms I thought nothing of it. This is still there - all I have to do is gently knock the "cone" and it starts "ringing".

I did some more measuring - I secured the meter's leads to the terminals of one of the coils and when I laid the sub on my bed (on it's face) one of the coils showed about 3ohms So, when I push the cone I get some resistance across a pair of the terminals.

I pretty much answered my question, I just wanted to know if there is anyone here who's had similar experience with their ED sub(s).

blue LEDz, I know you might be reading this so I'm gonna ask you a question - how should I proceed with ED? I know they have 3 years warranty, but what do I say to them (what shouldn't I tell them)?

i'm suprised both VC's shorted out to get he overload on the meter. i've killed my share of subs, and without looking at it and messing with it i can't tell you much. but as long as the cone still moves you didn't seize it up, and that's usually a sure bet they won't cover it under warranty. sounds like you may have over heated the VC. you either get varing resistance when still, very little resistance, or open circuit from one or both the leads burning into another. how much power you giving it? your amp doesn't see any load on it, which is why it's not in protect mode. i'm guessing that it's just that the leasds going to the VC snapped or fryed. as long as the VC isn't burnt, they should cover it as far as the getting resistance when you push on it, that leads me to believe even more that it's a snap inside the VC. e-mail or call ED. tell them you had exactly the rated power or less, and and the box they have on their site from there they will tell you what to do with it. do not, i repeat DO NOT tell them you ever ran over the rated power to it. that's a good way to get them to deny warranty claims

Comment

I can't get any resistance on one of the coils but the other one shows about 3-4 ohms when I push the cone in. So, yeah... something must have snapped.

They're probably closed for the weekend, but I will email them anyway. Do you think that they might be willing to sell me an O sub for the price difference between my K and the O (if they honor my warranty ofcourse)?

Comment

i doubt they would sell you an O for the price difference, since it'll cost them less to repair your sub than to return it. and you only want an O if you have a sealed setup, and don't want ported

Comment

Allright then... I'll send them an email saying my K broke.

Comment

I just sent them this:

Hi guys!

I have enjoyed my e12k.44 very much until a week ago when it malfunctioned for no apparent reason.
            I would like to know if what has happened to it is considered "user error" or driver malfunction and if you will consider a repair/exchange under the 3 year warranty.

The driver's cosmetic appearance is LIKE NEW. I have no idea exactly what happened and why, but here's the story. I've had the sub for about 5 months. I've built the vented enclosure you have recommended for use with the e12k44 and the box was secured with a pair of metal springs in my trunk. I have gone through all the recommended steps for ensuring the sub's longevity. I have never supplied more than the power rating specified for this driver, and in fact I have used it very sparingly (because I have not had the chance to upgrade to a better set of speakers I was forced to run the sub at lower volumes than most people would). Moreover the music I listen to does not have a lot of bass (like rap and hip-hop) so I doubt that it was a case of "overpowering" the sub. I listen mostly to hard rock and metal (Metallica), and everyone kept telling me that I do not need a huge subwoofer for that type of music, but anyway.... To make the story short, a week ago my subwoofer just stopped playing. I thought that a wire had disconnected (remote wire from the head unit to the amp) but that wasn't the case. I checked all other connections but they seemed fine. My amp's lights were on, the status light was GREEN, etc. Then I decided to look inside the box for disconnected wires (I had soldered the wires to the terminals on the inside so I thought maybe that was it). Nothing visibly wrong! Then I decided to use my multi-meter to measure the resistance across the two VCs of the sub and to my surprise they were both showing 0L (infinite resistance - open circuit). Upon some further testing I discovered that when the cone is pushed inwards (by the weight of the driver laying on its face) one of the VCs will show the expected resistance, but the other would still be "open".

The fact that I get resistance across one of the coils when I push the "cone" leads me to believe that a wire has snapped somewhere inside the sub.

So, where do we go from here?

Thank you,
            Martin
            Let's hope they fix it!

Comment

eD sent me a brand new driver. Here's what they had to say when I asked them about the problem with the original one.

dont have a tracker at this time.....i personally checked it out...it was a very close call..between ..was it misallinged or did it just get the **** beat out of it....the coil was very banged up ..somethig u would see if u would bottom it out alot...the bottom of the coil smashed up..and wire coming off the coil.....now this happend because the driver was misallinged slightly....so during normal play the coil smacks into the pole peace...slowly wearing it away.....however the coil was a little black...that is due to it getting a clipped signal from the amp..gains set to high...may want to turn tme down or the volume knob

eD Tech Dept.
              All in all I'd say that those guys are THE BEST. Received my sub on the Dec 1st, inspected it and shipped it out back to me the same day! WOW!

Comment

it's funny how he knows everythign about how you used it, but doesn't personally care.
                Visit My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman112k3
                  it's funny how he knows everythign about how you used it, but doesn't personally care.

yeah, sub manufacturers can tell pretty much exactly what their subs have been though, which is what worries me about my brahma they'll be able to tell i beat the **** out of it, but i hope since i didn't freeze the voice coil they'll fix the spider without any problems

Comment

well, I can't say that I did something wrong. I've kept my gains at an acceptable level. one day the sub just stopped working and the stereo wasn't even at high volume. he admitted that the driver was slightly misalligned. I'll be more careful this time. Let's hope there's no NEXT TIME.

Comment

Yup, I got the driver about 30 minutes ago.
                      11 days after I sent it to eD. Pretty good, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                        Yup, I got the driver about 30 minutes ago.
                        11 days after I sent it to eD. Pretty good, eh?

i'm going to be as nice as possible when i say this,
                        YOU SUCK!!!!!

i called adire audio yesterday and no one picked up so i e-mailed them again, with a respectful, but aggitated tone, asking basically WTF? where's my sub?

Comment

Well, here it is - fixed and shinin' - my subwoofer box!

Comment

nice what did you paint the box with? looks like you've already got some scuffs on it try truck bedliner it's a bit more expensive than paint, but it's really tuff, and as long as you get a relatively smooth finish, you can armor all it to make it shiny it's about $8 per can at walmart for the aerosol kind.

Comment

hey blue, remember me asking how to secure my box in the trunk? well, that didn't happen till a month ago. the box was flying from side to side with every sharp turn or quick acceleration/deceleration I made. I felt like crying every time the box hit something, but I couldn't help it. the box was pretty banged up and I think the failing of the driver might have had something to do with all this. then a month ago I finally found time and energy to do something, and I went to the home depot. I got a pair of heavy duty springs and attached the box to the amp rack. now it's not moving at all.

I painted the box "flat black" but didn't like the result. it ended up looking like ****. then I got a can of American Accents Stone Creations - this is really nice, it has a nice texture... the can cost me around $7 @ Home Depot. now I have a new can and I am ready to spray over the scuffs.

Comment

Working...
                              X