Installed MSP shifter/knob !!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed MSP shifter/knob !!!

I just finished installing my MSP shifter and Sparco knob and I must say that this thing is amazing compared to my stock 1st gen shifter. Installation was pretty straight forward but took me a bit longer because I had to reinstall my shifter boot. The MSP shifter is MUCH shorter!! I am a relatively short guy so I even had to move my seat forward a bit to be able to reach that thing. Nevertheless, the throw is much shorter and shifting is a breeze now. No more tractor driving and no more feeling on the passangers…….woohooo!!!

Here's a comparison pic between the two shifters:

Pic is a bit blurry but you can still see how short this thing is:

MSP Sparco knob.
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Sweet, looks about as low as my Kartboy.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

i hate short throw shifters in proteges...

but thats just my opinion

the knob is too low in stock form, lowering it is silly.
      "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
      -93 MR2, 129 ES
      ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
      Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Originally posted by JesseSays
        i hate short throw shifters in proteges...

but thats just my opinion

the knob is too low in stock form, lowering it is silly.
        I have to agree with you there. I don't want to go any closer to the front since I'm a 6 feet guy. What we need is a shifter that has the same height as stock and position the knob even more back by 1"-2".
        92 323 with BP DOHC
        ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Looks great!
          Dan
          dreesemonkey

Comment

looks good
            what year msp did you get it from?
            No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

i enjoy my ss. but i am 5'4"and the short thorw helps with my lack of wingspan.
              When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
              Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
              Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
              So his engine he goosed
              With much too much boost,
              And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex
                looks good
                what year msp did you get it from?
                I think he got it from 2003

Is that painted?
                U have smoked ur self retarded

Comment

I was thinking of getting a short Shifter Kit, but I'm poor.. and Im not going to pay 100 dollars just to shorten my shifter when I have no hurry to get anywhere... BUT quicker shifting does decrease the "whiplash" that is felt by other passengers (and me when I'm in a hurry) So even though I am against performance mods on my car... this one appeals to me? Ive heard of a lot of people just chopping like 2" off the stock shifter... Is that Legit???

Are there cheap alternations to buying a kit that continue to keep the shifter functional (i.e. No Generic ****ty shift knobs, that just look smaller)... If there are no cheaper alternations, how much would you say the cheaper short shifter kits start... I will buy one

I like Chimp's
                  Attached Files
                  1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                  1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                  2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                  2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

I don't know what year MSP the shifter came out of. It seems like it'll take me a while to get used to it. It would've been much better if the shifter was placed back a couple of inches. As for cheap alternatives to the 1st gen shifter, you can always buy a 3rd gen shifter for about $20-$30. It would not be as short as the MSP one, but will still be a bit shorter than your current 1st gen shifter. For about $40-$50 you can get an MP3 / MSP shifter. They are a bit harder to find, but if you keep an eye out on the MP3 boards, you'll eventually come across one.
                    '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

i have a PR5 shifter in my car it does shorten shift and make it a bit more comfertible, but i do want shorter and that looks to be what i want, anyone know what they cost brand new?
                      No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Not bad!

Did you dye your carpet???
                        My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                        - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

meen - no, you can't just cut off a few inches of the shifter. That will just 'shorten' the shifter itself, not the throws. Now if you cut off two inches from the top and added and inch to the bottom below the ball, it would then be a shorter throw
                          Dan
                          dreesemonkey

Comment

Semtex,

If I understand your post correctly, you are asking for the cost, new, of an MP3/MSP shift lever. According to Monstermile, the dealer price for either lever is $220. I was able to purchase my MP3 shift lever and knob from an MP3/P5 Forum member for $50. If you look around, you should be able to find a used one also.

FYI, the MP3/MSP shift lever has an M8 x 1.25 thread while the P5/sedan lever has an M10 x 1.25 thread.
                            02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                            MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                            MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                            MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                            Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                            Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                            Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                            Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                            Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                            Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                            Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Cutting the shifter will kill your gear synchronizers in a relatively short time. It's not something I'd recommend you do.
                              '91 LX

Comment

Working...
                              X