X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Subs now

Well, Ive had 2 MTX Audio 6000 12's for about
    3 months now and Im about to add another
    one to them. That means Ill have 3 of them.
    What Im wanting to know is will the new addition
    make it any louder? What kind of amp should I
    purchase to run all 3?
    Mike A.

would porting my box make my
    speakers any louder?
    Mike A.

Comment

yes porting your box would make it louder... possibly a ported box wtih 2 would be louder than 3 in a closed box... you could get another amp anyway and amp both of them and port it... be really friggin loud

Comment

likewise, make more of what you've got.. more could necessarily mean less in some cases. if you were keen on throwing in a third sub, amping it, and porting all 3 subs.. i'd say more power to you. to busy to push amp numbers, but brian should be able to work with you and give you some figures for a box and port size/lenght. good luck
        peace

Comment

3 questions, one whats amp model do you have now for the 2 subs, two, how many voice coils and what ohm are they? third, do you want loud booming bass or loud tight bass.
          '02 classic red p5
          currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

I currently dont have an amp running my 2 subs.
            I did have a RF 600w amp but not anymore.
            According to the mtx site, the speakers have
            a 4-layer voice coil.

Whats the difference between loud and booming bass
            and loud and tight bass?
            Mike A.

Comment

loud and booming - SPL sounds ****ty and just hits really really hard

Loud and Tight - how i like my women(haha i made a funny) - basically SQL... when a bass drum hits, it sounds like a bass drum not just boooom boooom booooom.... sounds good but not necissarily as hard.

Comment

or you could opt for 1 really good sub
                eD!
                got mine going last week... i'm beggining to fear that my car will mutate into a $15000 massaging chair.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                RB springs
                Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

ok, i want loud and tight then.
                  Mike A.

Comment

then port your two and add another amp so one amp per sub...i would recommend hte eD to you but since you already have 2 subs and prolly dont want to buy another sub(i wouldnt atleast) but your decision

Comment

i'd say just stick with 2 subs and port them, or get a better sub but if you want a 3rd one, we need to know whether your sub is a single voice coil or dual voic coil. adding the 3rd one won't get much of an improvement over 2. you'll get a bigger increase by switching to a good ported box, than by adding a 3rd sub in a sealed box. plus using 3 subs with a VC configuration other than dual 6 ohm or single 12 ohm subs is a waste, since you'll have to spend more on an amp that is stable to a lower load than you need. if you have single voice coil subs, you'd need an amp stable to 1 ohm, but you'd only be running it at 1.3333 ohms. or if you have dual voice coil subs, you'd need an amp stable to 2 ohm, and you'd be running a 2.66667 ohm load to it. course your subs require a rather large box, if ported.

Comment

ok, the third sub is free. i did some work for the guy.
                        Its brand new out of the box.
                        I want to put all 3 into a bigger PORTED box.
                        Is this a good idea?
                        Mike A.

Comment

Originally posted by bubbashane
                          ok, the third sub is free. i did some work for the guy.
                          Its brand new out of the box.
                          I want to put all 3 into a bigger PORTED box.
                          Is this a good idea?

more is always a good idea, if you can afford it i'd give them about 250 watts each, since you want a big portedbox. you'll need nice low tuning for good SQ. their recomendation for about 30 hz is a good idea:

now we still need to know if you have single or dual voice coil subs. that will allow me to get the exact specs for the subs and run them through my box modeling program and it will also determine what amp you will need to get:p: you'll probably need an amp that is 900 watts x1 at 1 or 2 ohm, depending on which subs you have

Comment

it says that each speaker has a 2" voice coil.
                            Mike A.

Comment

it also says that it is 4-layered. i hope that helps.
                              Mike A.

Comment

Working...
                              X