belts for a '94 sohc pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

belts for a '94 sohc pro

i need to replace my timing belt and drive belts. i had an oil leak on the left side of my valve cover and now both belts are a bit oil-soaked (and could use the maintainence, regardless) I also need a new water pump because mine is leaking anti-freeze...

now I dont plan on doing the work myself, but the shop i brought my car to wants to charge me $500 for parts and labor to replace the water pump and 2 belts...now after looking on this site here i found 2 different water pumps (both part #G3000-21802) one for $62 and another for $46...the one for $46 says its GMB, the one for $62 doesnt list its brand...and the mechanic wants to charge me $105 for a water pump...so my first question is what is the difference between the 2 on this site for a water pump for a '94 sohc pro...

also, the mechanic wants to charge me $50 a piece for the timing belt and drive belt...on the mazdapartstore website i can find the timing belt for about the same price..$50..but the drive belt(s) i can find for about $20...however ther are like 6 or 7 different drive belts and i have no idea which one i should get..

there are v-shaped and multi-ribbed drive belts and all sorts of different brands...if someone could point out the difference between a belt w/ps and w/o ps is i would be much appreciative..or if you could tell me what part # i needed that would work too...

thanks for the help guys.

~jeff~

I have the same exact car...And I had the same exact thing done recently...

It cost me a little over 200 to do all of that.... Buy the parts at your local parts shop... just tell him your car infomation and he should be able to find you the correct parts... and find a mechanic to give u an estimate and tell him/her that you have the parts already purchased...

I purchased, all belts, valve cover gasket, water pump, and anti freeze for about 100 bones.... oh yeah.. and some oil seals.. cause as we all know... Damn cars start seapin oil pretty bad after 100k miles... eh...

What are you doing about your oil leaks... I need to do something... Trying to clean my engine bay is worthless without fixing that... peace...
    1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
    1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
    2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
    2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

thankfully, the only oil leak i had was from the valve cover gasket..but i replace that myself and havent had any oil leak since...

do you happen to know exactly what belts i would need to purchase from the site i mentioned? Thanks..

~jeff~

Comment

bro, labor is one thing... however, parts wise, your timing belt (timing chain if you will), your water pump (pumps coolant), powersteering belt (runs a/c if you have it), your alternator belt (runs the water pump as well), and your valve cover gasket i priced came to $126.93 at Car Parts.com .. now you may get a little more expensive results or maybe cheaper results, however, you CAN definately get the parts cheaper. if you're not mechanically inclined, just pick up a haynes manual, jack and jack stands, some silicone sealent and basic tool/socket set, i could imagine you could do it yourself for under 400 bucks. if need be, order the parts from there, have 'em shipped and take them into your mechanic. when i had my water pump and 3 belts replaced, my cost from my mechanic was about $350. your mechanic could possibly be ordering all of his parts via dealership, but a water pump shouldn't cost you $100 bucks. you could spend up to 80 on a timing belt, but you can get a decent quality timing belt for under $50. it's no simple job, but your car would be greatful to just have all this done. and truthfully, there's no point in NOT replacing your powersteering and alternator belt while doing the timing chain, as they've gotta come off anyway. good luck
        peace

Comment

oh, i forgot you replaced the valve cover gasket yourself, minus the gasket, total came to $103.94 with out shipping.. and the part numbers i sourced from Car Parts.com are :
          A/C(p.s. belt) part numbers are (which one you chose is based on whether or not you have ps and a/c or any combination of the two, cept i wouldn't know what the difference in the belts are, cept the part numbers are different)
          K040395 with ps, ac .................$16 bucks
          K040345 with ac, NO ps
          K040350 with ps, NO ac
          all manufactured by gates

Alternator (water pump) belt part numbers are
          9360 with wp & alt................$15 bucks
          manufactured by gates

Timing belt
          40185 ............................listed at $22.64
          manufactured by Goodyear

Water pump
          AW4049 .........................$38.36
          manufactured by Airtech Auto Division

bro, all these parts are for the SOHC motor, i don't know how well else to spell this out as far as what you need, but prices should run as cheap as 90, as expensive as 130.. depending on what you choose.. but given those part numbers, should keep it under $110 without shipping. good luck
          peace
          Last edited by Guest; 11-24-2003, 11:50 PM.

Comment

OH ****.... if orgot to ****in replace my valve cover gasket... god damnit.... oh my god.... wow... ****... they gotta take all that hsit out again to get to it... now what... damnit
            1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
            1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
            2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
            2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

relax, it's a few bolts, maybe timing cover chain... should only take you about 15 to 20 minutes.
              peace

Comment

Whatever you guys do, do NOT suggest a novice/amateur to change the 1st generation waterpump himself. I have changed them in a few cars and that Protege was a SOB to change. If you're having to remove other components for other work then it makes the job easier. If it's the water pump alone it's awful. Like the guys here said: call a local auto parts store and they will know what to give you according to your car.Well, unless you live in a one horse town. In that case, order online. After that, find a mechanic that is willing to do the job after you tell him you have already bought the parts. Try to do this in person or at least listen well over the phone. It's better to see his face for his reaction. Some mechanics don't like that because they didn't get to make money on the parts. Some mechanics actually love when people buy their own parts. They just want to do the work, make their money, and not have to deal with calling around for parts or having to go and pick them up(or send someone).

Comment

Working...
                X