Teach Me About MX-3s.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teach Me About MX-3s.

I am going to an auction next Wednesday where a 94 MX-3 with 155,000 will be back on the block after not selling this week for a starting bid of $700.

I'd like to ascertain as much information about the car before I show up there to bid. I cannot get in to look at the car up close until Wednesday at 5:00, but I can see it through a fence so I'd like to try to decipher as much about it from minor outside details as I can before then.

Details:
    It's greenish/teal.
    It doesn't say GS or V6 on on the hatch, only Mazda MX3.
    It has these wheels:
    It doesn't have any kind of lip under the front bumper or fog lights.

It's probably a 4 cylinder right?
    What are the chances then that it's a stick?
    Is there anything I should avoid options-wise (like a problematic ABS system for example).

Basically I have always liked the way MX3s look and I would buy this one if it is $700 and runs but I don't want to get stuck with something that is going to be problematic and I know very little about them.

I don't think it being a 4 cylinder would turn me away, but automatic def would unless the autos are more reliable/durable transmissions than the stick. Is the stick a G or an F trans?

The auction also has a '93 Protege that didn't sell last week for $450, I may grab that instead depending on the relative condition and if there are other bidders.

Thanks,
    -James-

these honeycomb rims come in both 14in rs rims 4cly model and 15in GS rims the v6 model.

so it would be hard to tell.

one single exhauts pipe means its a 92-93 4cly sohc MX-3 stock muffler

a double tip exahust meas its a 94-96 4cly dohc MX-3 stock muffler

a double tip exhaust means a 92-96 V6 MX-3 but u will also see a V6 badge. stock muffler

the exhuast difference can only be determined if its a stock exhaust system.

as far as it being a auto or stick only checking inside will tell u what u need to know.

seeing thats its a 94 it either a 4cly dohc or v6 model.

mazda auto trannys are weak they break down if abused over a given period of time.

if its a 4cly and its a stick its a f-series trans. the mazda protege LX comes with a g-series trans. u can put a g-series trans on the dohc but u need the flywheel and clutch form the g-series as will and the axles and half shaft.. but u'll need to modify the half shaft so u can bolt it to the B6 block.

the protege come with either a 1.8 sohc BP engine DX, SE moodels 90-94
    and also a 1.8 dohc BP engine LX model us GT cad. model. also in 90-94.
    92 Mazda MX-3 (2120lbs) (12.4@118@18psi)1.8 DOHC ,Eletromotive TEC II Standalone System, Turbo Ric Project Turbo Kit, Custom intake manifold 80MM Mustang TB, PT67 P-TRIM TURBO, Custom turbo manifold, 3 in. down pipe, Innovate wideband, 1000cc RC Injecters,walbro 255, custom fuel rail, Areomotive FPR, MSD wires, NGK V-Power R5671A-8 plugs, 31 1/2" L x 10 5/8" H x 3 1/2" D Percision Turbo 750HP FMIC , 2.5in intercooler piping, Tial wastegate/BOV, Unrothdox UDP, KIA G-series trans, ACT 6 puck extreme clutch,(Need a twin disc) 30psi guage&10,000RPM tach (autometer)(EQUUS guages), NO I DON'T HAVE A BPT I HAVE A REUGLAR BP-DE. (updated)

Otherwise known as LIMEGREEN MX-3
    12 sec MX-3TURBO RIC PROJECT MX-3
    http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=59746
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3dn-fw9S7s
    http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=56488

Comment

Thanks for the info. Another quick question, how difficult is it to swap a BP in place of the B6D (that's what the DOHC 4 is rigt?).

I'm about to do that same swap on my Festiva and I'm aware of the problems associated with the difference in lenght between the BP and the other B engines, Is there any other hurdle?

I think it would be pretty to cool to also have an MX-3 daily with the same drivetrain as my toy.

Comment

its a direct swap in the 92-93 mx-3 5spd with the 1.6 sohc engine. u just need to the BP, engine wiring harness and ECU all plug and play. the trans from the sohc will bolt on the BP but u need to bolt on the flywheel and clutch on the bp form the sohc.

the bp swap in the 1.6 dohc is not as easy. the bp will bolt up but the wiring part will not work. u have to clut splice and do some getto sthy to make it work. reason why is the 92-93 os obd1 and the 94-96 is a hybrid obd1/obdII shyt.
        92 Mazda MX-3 (2120lbs) (12.4@118@18psi)1.8 DOHC ,Eletromotive TEC II Standalone System, Turbo Ric Project Turbo Kit, Custom intake manifold 80MM Mustang TB, PT67 P-TRIM TURBO, Custom turbo manifold, 3 in. down pipe, Innovate wideband, 1000cc RC Injecters,walbro 255, custom fuel rail, Areomotive FPR, MSD wires, NGK V-Power R5671A-8 plugs, 31 1/2" L x 10 5/8" H x 3 1/2" D Percision Turbo 750HP FMIC , 2.5in intercooler piping, Tial wastegate/BOV, Unrothdox UDP, KIA G-series trans, ACT 6 puck extreme clutch,(Need a twin disc) 30psi guage&10,000RPM tach (autometer)(EQUUS guages), NO I DON'T HAVE A BPT I HAVE A REUGLAR BP-DE. (updated)

Otherwise known as LIMEGREEN MX-3
        12 sec MX-3TURBO RIC PROJECT MX-3
        http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=59746
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3dn-fw9S7s
        http://www.mx-3.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=56488

Comment

www.mx-3.com... read the FAQ's, good knowledge.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
          Member of MX-3.com
          1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
          1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Stay Away From the automatics !!!!! Especially if it has the V-6.
            c+p>c<c+d1>c+p<m+d2>m<m+f>f<c+p>m<m+f>f<f+s1>c+p<c +s2>c<c+p>

2002 Mazda Protégé 5 , 5-speed , poly engine mounts , 4 to 1 header , JIC-Magic semi titanium cat back , custom CAI , Tokiko hp struts , Vogtland springs , Mazdaspeed sway-bar kit , Megan racing TTL's , Megan Racing trailing arms , pedders control arm bushings , corksport clutch line and shifter bushings , Tiger Tuning rear panel with V brace , Black sedan headlights with 6000k H.I.D.'s , M3 mirrors , Audio by Alpine , Kicker and just getting started.

Comment

if you do swap a bp it is easier to swap a bp from a 95-98 protege instead of the earlier one or a kia sephia i think it is
              In the Garage
              Black 93 MX-3 GS
              Bp powered
              GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
              MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Working...
              X