the secret VIN....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the secret VIN....

thanks to the help of turbonium959 i just found out that there is a way to know if your car (mine is 97 protege) has a 1.5 or 1.8L engine..just by looking at the last 5 numbers of your vin?? if anyone knows this little secret pls let me know..i sure would like to know what engine i have!..i have an SE with NO luxuries and ive been informed that it has to be a 1.5...but another source has told me that SE's carry 1.8L engines.....just trying to solve this little mystery..

thanks in advance for anyone who helps out and a special thanks to turbonium959 for helping me out with this as well....its nice to see that there are people on this forum that wont kill the newbie..ha

2nd generations: 1=1.5 liter, 2=1.8 liter, 3=1.5 liter w/o airbag, 4=1.8 liter w/o airbag
    Copied from Edwin's FAQ

Look at the 8th digit in your VIN

You can also look under your hood.
    The intake Manifold will look like a set of exhaust headers on the 1.5l.
    If you've got the Canadian model SE
    you've got the 1.5l, the canadian LX the 1.8l
    US spec, the lx model has the 1.5 and the ES the 1.8l.
    There's also a sticker under your hood that states the displacement.
    Last edited by midnightblue97; 11-24-2003, 05:33 PM.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

drum roll pls...

yes i am a 1.5L!! haha..finally i know...anyways..it seems my engine doesnt have the greatest pick up..but it quite quick when i get up there..haha..any suggestions for a 1.5L..besides swapping..ha!

thanks guys..

Comment

Intake and high-flow exhaust would be an easy affordable, and a moderate gain. But if that won't be enough, you can always go with NOS, as thats the cheapest bang for the buck. But you have to be carefull playing with that. I do not want to hear any Fast and Furious horror stories. Goodluck.
        "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

hey thanks alot for everyone helping me out...maybe a swap is best...any good sites for a 1.8 engine??....seems to me i need to swap...

Comment

Working...
          X