High-out Put Alternator Rebuilder :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High-out Put Alternator Rebuilder :)

i was delivering today, and drove by this guys shop and had 'starter and alternator' rebuilds on the sign.. so i took a stop by to talk to him quickly. a respected local merchant here in the suburbs of philly does alternator rebuilds. just figured i'd be able to pass you some information. in my particular application, with a 94 protege lx.. he estimated out of my stock 65 amp alternator, he'd be able to push out about 120 to 140 amps worth of power, with a little wiring modification and something else, with no adverse effect to horsepower as well. and basic idea was there would be a fly by night type of repair, drop it off in the morning and pick it up the next day at 6 or so.. and cost wise, he was talking somewhere around 400 bucks or more. he does rebuilds like a 200 amp alternator for one the local police force's cruisers. alot of alternator rebuilds he does are for young kids with money to blow on sound systems.. so he's completely reliable and knows what he's dealing with and stands behind his work. i'm not going to flood out the information so he gets swamped by phone calls from people across the country wanting alternator rebuilds and ending up going elsewhere.. so if YOU ARE SERIOUS about looking for a rebuild, i'll pm you some contact information. i don't know what customizations he would have to do for 2nd or 3rd gens, but i'd be willing to drop my car off to him so he has a slight idea of what he's dealing with just to make you first genners a little better off. anywho..
    peace

depending on your alternator housing, 120-140 amps should be no problem. they built better housings back in the day. that's why i'm using a ford housing rated for over 200 amps for my custom built one that guy can't do anything for 3rd gens, trust me, i've tried every angle. a new alternator is the only option, since it has a 2 part voltage regulator 2nd gen shouldn't have a problem upgrading it. course for $400 you should be able to get a brand new stinger or ohio generator alternator that puts out more power that guy seems a bit steep. my friend builds alts for me for a little over a buck an amp. depending on the casing yours uses, he could easily build you a 140 amp one for under $300 with all new parts and a cleaned up case, with no core charge i can check with my friend this weekend, as i have to see if he's done with my custom alt. he'll be able to check his literature and see what he can do for you first and second gen owners and trust me, he does quality work. he rebuilds alternators all day long, and he's rebuilt my stock one before his craziest work was a guy with a pickup that wanted 4 alternators for his system:p: he's even gone so far as to install kits that control your idle, so if the voltage starts to drop, it automatically increase the engine RPM to spin the alt faster, when your car is parked, of course. then you get full power out of your alt. but anyways, $400 for 200 amps would be a good deal, but 140 amps, no, way over priced.

Comment

he gave me no definate fitures... i'd have to stop in and get an estimate.. plus his work includes installing the alt, upgrading wiring.. and something else likewise. i don't know that he's steep or not... we'd have to see, though i'd guarentee you're friend would build me a cheaper amp
      peace

Comment

Working...
      X