Brake lights don't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake lights don't work

Tonight after going into a store I come out and step on the brake, things work fine. I look into the rearview mirror once more and see that the usual reflection of the bright LEDs is no longer there. I figured it was just something wrong with my wiring and I still had brake lights. After arriving back to school I don't see any reflection of my brake lights in the cars parked behind me. I could see the tail lights but when I turned them off there was no light at all(with my foot still on the brake).

Is there a fuse the brake lights would be on and not the tail lights? How would both of the brake lights and the 3rd brake light go out at the same time but the tail lights still work fine?

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
    Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
    I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

it's either the fuse, or the brake sensor

Comment

See if your horn works. If it doesn't, then it's the fuse. In my 323, the horn and brake lights are on the same fuse
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

I'll check the horn. Anybody know which one it is? I don't have my Haynes manual with me. I was trying to check before I drove home so I'd have brake lights on the way home.
        I didn't think they were out last night because a cop followed me through a couple of stop lights. The cops around here don't have anything to do and I thought if my brake lights were out he would have stopped me for sure. A friend of mine was stopped for having green bulbs in his license plate lights so I thought he woulda got me for sure.

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>

Comment

I'll try and remember to look at my manual when I go home at lunchtime.
          Dan
          dreesemonkey

Comment

Oh ****, I just realized you don't have a 1st gen, it's probably different. Pull your fuses and see if any are blown.
            Dan
            dreesemonkey

Comment

Duh...I can just look at the (engine compartment)fuse box and it's got a list of what fuse is what. It's the one that says stop and yes, it was blown.
              But now I've got a different problem. Including the one from last night I've now blown 4 fuses.
              (since I put in the LED light)
              I've had the first one for 2 weeks.
              The second this morning for about an hour
              Went to the store and bought a pack of them...
              The second I stepped on the brake the last 2 blew
              What's wrong now? I was going to give another a try but I didn't want to blow through a whole box of fuses. What do I do now?

Comment

sounds like you have a good short somewhere in the wiring... at least it is always there so it should be easy to find...

I would start by removing all the bulbs (and what I think you said is an aftermarket LED light) from the circuit and see if it still happens (i.e. step on the brake)... that will narrow it down to wiring or a problem at one of the sockets/LED light unit.

If it's not a wiring problem put them back on the circuit, one at a time, until you find the culprit.
                --JJB--
                '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Working...
                X