2k2 Miata Cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2k2 Miata Cams

Possibly around christmas time I'll have ther opportunity to buy a set of cams from a 2002 Miata with only 8000km on it. I'm not sure of the situation of the car but I'd assume most likely, that it was wrecked.
    The 2k2's have the Variable Valve timing, Can someone tell me exactly what was involved with this??
    As is my understanding, the cam timing is what is adjusted and its not like honda's Vtec with the hotter cam lobes. Is this right??
    If so then I should have no problems with swapping them out and finding some gains, correct??

While I'm on the subject should I get the pistons too or is that a waste of time, since they really wouldn't be going in any time soon, as opposed to the cams, which would probably go in in the spring.

EDIT:
    A fairly quick reply would be nice I told the guy that I'd decide 100% in the next few days
    Last edited by midnightblue97; 11-25-2003, 06:31 PM.
    Ryan The middle child is always ignored
    BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
    Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Correct. The pistons will swap straight in no probs. A far as the cams, only ONE of the Miata cams is better than ours anyways. I dont remember which one (I think its the intake cam), so, youll have to ask BEAST (Brad).
    BTW, how much are you paying for the cam? i beleve brad payed about $200 for his miata cam brand new...

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Offered 200$ for the whole engine. Its got ~8000km.
      I didn't know that they couldn't be used without the hydraulic actuators or whatever, thank you edwin, I guess I'll stil have to keep and eye out for some from a 99-01 Miata or spring for the 600$ at the dealer when I've got the cash. Sigh.................
      I wasn't going to swap the head since I already knew about the manifold thing. I probably would have just sold the core or something.
      The pistons, yeah, I don't know what the **** I was thinking, I suppose I could have used then when I get the engine rebuilt, since they're higher compression, but why the **** when I could have just bought brand new ones then?
      KDAWG as was my understanding, the 97-98 Intake Cam was hotter than ours and the exhaust was the same.
      But also as is my understanding, both cams are hotter in the 99+ models.
      Ryan The middle child is always ignored
      BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

94-97 miata intake cam = 94-97 miata exhaust cam = 90-94 Protege exhaust cam
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
        X