Suggestions for calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for calipers?

Well, let me start off by saying that this is for a 1995 Protege ES.

Ive noticed that my emergency break has no force at all when I pull the handle, and i'm not exactly sure if this has anything to do with my problem or not.

I started to back out of my driveway yesterday, and I noticed that the tires kind of spun and i slid a little, but there was a fair amount of ice and snow on my driveway and i figured that it was due to that. But when I got out on the road, where everything was clear, i felt like I was still sliding. I also noticed that whenever I would push my clutch in to change gears, that the car would jerk back as if I was pressing the break. I turned around to get to my house and barely made it up the driveway before the rear passenger side wheel locked up.

My grandpa and I took the wheel off of the locked up side and looked at it and somehow he pushed something to do with the ebreak in, and it let the wheel unlock and it still moved. He attempted to change the break pads but couldn't get the old pads out, so we put the caliper back on after he got the wheel unlocked and attempted to drive the car, but the same thing happened.

Does this sound like the calipers have seized or possibly the emergency break has gone? I believe its got to be either one or the two. We also noted that on the 2nd trip, the rear left wheel was spinning as well. We're going to a junk yard to try to find a used caliper, as its hard for a 16 year old to buy a new one. but Any advice on what you think may be wrong or how to remedy this would greatly be appreciated.

thanks!

One of my friends who has caliper breaks instead of drum breaks said; that when every he pulls up the hand break and then releases it the rear wheel do not unlock. In order to release the the breaks he would remove the rear wheels and push something with the lug nut wrench.

This was several years ago but as far as I remember we replaced both of the rear calipers with refurnished ones from auto zone and pads. That solved the problem.
    Last edited by ivan15; 02-16-2007, 12:10 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

well, while playing around with it last night we disconnected the emergency break just as a last resort as we had no other idea on what to do. After disconnecting it and driving it around, it drove perfectly fine, no locking up or sliding. So its in the e-break somewhere, we just don't know what's making it do that.

Somebody I talked to today said that it could be the pads worn so low its causing it to 'trip', but i dont know if thats a possability or not, but as a precaution i'm changing front and rear pads on monday, since ive not changed them since my dad signed the car over to me about a month ago.

Comment

There Is Still A Good Chance That Your Caliper Is Still Bad; The E Brake When Pulled Pushes The Caliper Piston Out And It Might Not Be Releasing All The Way When You Release The Brake.

Comment

spring on the caliper for the ebrake
          mods: engine: fm stroker lightened and knifedged crank, 11:1, custom crank scraper, fully p&p head and intake mani, bored throttle body, flowed and matched stock injectors, rx7 vaf, apexi safc, gude race cams, modded ecu 8200 fuel cutoff, blaster coil, clutchmasters stage 3 clutch, fidanza fly wheel and timeing gears, msp diff, custom shortram in a cold air box

suspension: s/r struts intrack springs and intrax sway bars 15x6.5 rims kumho mx tires 205 50 r 15

Comment

well we figured out the problem, with both calipers they were extremely dirty and had this black stuff where all the bolt holes are, we cleaned it all out with breakleen and it seemed to help tremendously, and then lubed it back up with some break grease. The other problem with the ebreak is that the cable on the drivers side is faulty, and im keeping that side disconnected till I get another one to fix it.

Comment

Which pads are better Duralast from Auto Zone or Wearever from Advanced. They both come with a life time warranty, but I hear Auto Zone also covers wear.

Comment

Working...
              X