Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hesitation w/ pro5/low rpm Is there a fix?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hesitation w/ pro5/low rpm Is there a fix?

I've searched the forum to see if there's ever been a fix posted for the Pro5's hesitation/bucking/rubberbanding issues and still have not seen anything posted.

Has anyone out there succesfully fixed this issues?

To clarify, this is when the engine finally warms up. If you're stuck in traffic and dragging along in first and remove your foot from the gas then try to reapply it slightly, the car makes like a jackrabbit throwing you around your seat until you depress the clutch. I get the same feeling when i take my foot off and place it back on the accelerator in any other gear, it's just not half as pronouced due to the gear ratio (i'd guess).

To settle your questions now, yes, I've had the transmission (yes, the entire thing), plugs, wires, ign coils, all belts, egr valve replaced. The passage leading to the EGR valve, and injectors cleaned thoroughly.

The car is still completely stock, and manual. About 60K on the odo. All the other problems I've had with the car have finally been fixed... this is the last. I'm might as well be anal and find the resolution... if there is one.

Please, if you have any ideas, let me know. I've read about the MSP probs, it's pretty much exactly that, but according to the dealership, there's no fix for the Pro5's.

only time that's ever happened to me was when I was learning to use manual tranny..
    i'll assume that with your 60k on the car, you know how to drive stick....

try calling mazda corp or another dealership.. i did that when i had tranny issues, and finally corp mazda got me some help/solutions

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
    RB springs
    Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
    MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

At the speeds i'm at in traffic, there's no shifting involved, just the clutch.
      I've been to two dealerships, so far they consider this normal.

Comment

are u sure u are driving it correcftly? why are you taking your foot all the way off the gas and putting it back on again? It sounds like you are making the car "buck" ... I can do this to mine, too... or almost any car.
        U have smoked ur self retarded

Comment

I dunno, this kinda sounds like what every other stickshift car I've ever driven does... especially in first gear... it will buck like a bronco when you let off at high RPMs. You have to be very smooth.

If you continue driving this way you will destroy your transmission (or have you already?)
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I agree with skr33t. Any car will buck like that if you press the pedal too much (even slightly too much) while idling in first gear.

Do you just tap the pedal and let off? Every manual tranny car I have driven does what you describe.

"Mazderati"
            91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
            Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
            Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
            AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

By the way, why was the tranny replaced before 60,000 miles? That seems peculiar.

"Mazderati"
              91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
              Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
              Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
              AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Every manual car that I have been in you couldn't drive in first gear like that or it would buck. I've only been in 4 manual cars though.

When I am driving in traffic like that I will drive in first but never let my foot off the gas. If I need to slow down I just push the clutch in and coast/brake. Then let it out when I want to go again.
                02 Protege ES

Comment

From the replies, I'd say it's me and the gear ratio...

To elaborate, I keep my foot on the gas the majority of the time and ease off and on, VERY SLIGHTY. The problem starts as soon as I allow the car to decelerate and then need to speed up... Even a tiny bit. The throttle seems too sensitive as the slightest touch of the pedal surges the car forward IF i'm decelerating in first. While I keep my foot on the pedal to continue forward the car STILL lurches BACKwards as if I had just removed my foot from the gas again. It'll continue until I hit the clutch or get above 3krpms. (which seems like an eternity when you're being thrown around the car... I've only allowed it to follow through ONCE) All this happens while around 1k to 2krpms.

I was hoping I could adjust the pedal or throttle somehow to allow for a gradual acceleration, though it looks like that wouldn't solve anything. In another forum, I've been told to replace the #3 engine mount due to it's inability to handle the engine's torque in first.

Another suggests the Air/Fuel ratio at those speeds and the ECU trying to compensate.

The trans probs started with Clutch Chatter (Clutch, flywheel replaced, malformed material), then shifting from 1st to second when the car was somewhat cold (crunch)(syncros replaced, problem persisted, whatever else they did made it virtually impossible to shift 1st and 2nd and eventually wore out the ball and socket so badly it would squeak and plastic shavings could be seen), to grinding when above 4krpms in 3rd (trans replaced, completely different dealer. They solved just about every issue I told them about the first time around. The previous dealer just put off issues and claimed that's how the is supposed to be in most cases)

Comment

I think this has been discussed at the "other" site. I believe the consensus was that it was the engine mounts being too soft that was the problem.

Comment

Engine mounts have nothing to do with it!

I have a stick p5..

I have change my front motor mount..And it's not helped the least bit w/ the lurching/bucking!

It has helped w/ wheel hop!

This is the 4th mtx car i have driven in my life..and this has the worst 1st gear..

No other car i drove bucked as much as my p5!

I sit in allot of traffic..ususally 30min solid stop & go traffic M-Friday!

Your best bet..is do not ride the person's ass in front of you...leave couple of car lenghts..so that you can get into 2nd gear..which is much smoother than first!

On protege5.com they discussed playing w/ the throttle cable..which raises your idle..Many claimed that it worked..but i never tried it!

Chas

Comment

Originally posted by acidbbg1
                        Engine mounts have nothing to do with it!

I have a stick p5..

I have change my front motor mount..And it's not helped the least bit w/ the lurching/bucking!

It has helped w/ wheel hop!

This is the 4th mtx car i have driven in my life..and this has the worst 1st gear..

No other car i drove bucked as much as my p5!

I sit in allot of traffic..ususally 30min solid stop & go traffic M-Friday!

Your best bet..is do not ride the person's ass in front of you...leave couple of car lenghts..so that you can get into 2nd gear..which is much smoother than first!

On protege5.com they discussed playing w/ the throttle cable..which raises your idle..Many claimed that it worked..but i never tried it!

Chas
                        I must say that the car runs very smooth in 1st when cold (high idle) even if i try, I'm not able to get it to buck. I'd be happy having the engine idle at 850-900 than 750. I'll take a look for any threads describing it, but if you know of one off-hand, please link me.

I've also noticed the car rarely has a smooth idle. What I mean by this is, while idling, engine warm, the needle will fluctuate slighty between 7.5-8. If i bring it up to 1000 and keep my foot rock steady, it'll fluctuate as if I'm feathering the gas slighty... a rise in Rpms of about 100 and back down... over and over.

Any ideas?

Comment

oddly enough, my 01 has been getting lower RPMs, recently.. while idle, I used to sit at 850-900, now it's like 600-700... i get the same bucking feeling as you... but i gots an auto.. it's minimal, and seeing as I have an auto, it has nothing to do with the tranny (or so i tell myself)

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                          RB springs
                          Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                          MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

I tried this with my WRX, and, in fact, I got it so bad I thought I was gonna die, until I put the clutch in. I don't think it is unique to this car.
                            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Working...
                            X