Past races

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Past races

I don't think I've ever posted in here about races with the Protege. There haven't been many, but they've been fun.

The first one was back when the car was fairly new. I had a car full going to the beach for a bonfire. My friend was in his '69 Mustang 351-4V. I went to pass him on the freeway (he was only doing 60mph), and as I pull next to him, I here this great roar coming through the windows. I figured he was racing me, so I dropped down into 3rd and the race was on. Ever so slowly I started catching him, as aerodynamics began winning out over shear brute force. At about 100mph, I was pulling away. By 110mph, I was in front of him and we both coasted back down. I should mention that this was at 10pm on a 4 lane divided freeway and there was NO traffic around.

The craziest race I actually lost (sort of). I used to live off of Mulholland Dr, and had driven the same stretch of road 1000's of times. There is a 2-lane left turn at a light to get started, and when I came up to it there was a late-model Firebird WS6 in the left lane. The light turned just as I got there, and I swung by him in the right lane. Well, there is no way a Protege can take a 300+hp LS1 in a straight line, so he drives past me with a big ole smile on his face. We hit the first turn at about 80mph (it's marked 30mph) and while I closed the gap around the turn, he opened it back up going up the hill after the turn. The gap stayed at about 4-5 car lengths over the top of the hill into an easy left, and then we headed for the tight section. Here, I picked up half the gap under braking, and the rest in the second turn (it's a shallow left, a sharper left, both off camber slightly, and then a 90 degree banked right). Coming out of the last turn, I was right on top of him. Of course, there is a straight right after that, so he pulled away again (slightly). We wound up catching traffic a few seconds later, so we both slowed down to sane speeds. I think he was impressed that I had stayed with him (and actually gained through the corners) in my little s-box, so he gave me a big tumbs up out the T-top.

But there really haven't been many times were I've actually raced, per se, but many times where someone tried to out-accelerate me to the first turn. Usually, I have such a huge advantage off the light that it's never really a contest, and once the first turn shows up, they are a distant memory.

Most of my racing I save for the autocross track (as it should be), but I'll attack an on-ramp now and then. :D
    Last edited by Davard; 11-27-2003, 07:04 PM.
    David Avard
    '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
    '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
    '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

the on ramp going to work every day is something i look forward too. i saw a rx3 get on the freeway, by the timehe was actually off the ramp and on the freeway he was going 120 i think, he got off at the next offramp. he was just testing it out i guess. man was it loud.
    Serenity's Dead.

Comment

Working...
    X