That's it!...... MX-3 Restoration!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's it!...... MX-3 Restoration!

ok where should I start?.......well I bought an mx-3 around Jenuary of 07 for $600. the car was in pretty bad shape meaning: 1/4 panel damage, bad clutch, no front speakers, smoked oil when started ....., just realy ****y. The good news was that it didn't show that mutch rust anyways, a week ago I damaged the engine but not adding oil because i just wanted the engine to die lol so i started my project. I will be posting pics tomorrow. if you guys have any cool ideas of what I can do to my car while in the restoration, let me know

Why would you kill your motor? =\

What motor does it have in it, is it a v6 or a 4 banger? You could go either way really. KL-ZE 200hp Stock V6, or BP-T about 180hp on stock boost 4 Banger.

Id worry about my suspension and braking before I worried about making huge numbers. Get some good struts/spring or coil overs, bushing kits, sway bars/strut bars. Upgrade to some nice Brembo blank brake rotors and grab some Hawk HPS brake pads. That should be adequate braking power. Next you can get an exhaust system so when you drop in your new motor you wont have to worry about getting all those fumes out. 2 1/2inch - 3 inch should work best. Hooker makes a great flowing muffler, and pretty cheap too. Urethane exhaust hangers are not that expensive, motor mounts as well. Then move on to find a KL or BPT and let the engine rebuild commence!

Comment

yo thanks for the reply.... I have 4 cyl but I'm going with the stock engine 1.6l DOHC. I would go with the BP-T engine, but I don't have that mutch $.......I'm going with all the suspenssion eventualy. I also filled my engine mount with polyurathane I will put up some pics soon

Comment

Why not just save up? You can get a BP-T off of ebay for about $1200. You could always buy a plain BP now and upgrade it throughout time and then turbo it when you have the funds. Thats what Im doing now.

Comment

here are pics of the trany, engine, mounts, shift linkage(old)-(new), and engine compartment
          Attached Files

Comment

Hey man, she's lookin good. You should drop a low mileage BP motor in there. You can use your 1.6 transmission, all you need is to swap your 1.6 flywheel and clutch (upgrade?) onto the BP and it'll bolt in. Shouldn't be to costly, and be a nice upgrade!

JACK.
            -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
            http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

I would go with a bp but unfortunetly I bought an ACT clutch kit & flywheel for the b6......I didn't know that you could put a bp but that's ok, I will be the first one to have one fast 1.6l lolI have shaved like 200lbs off the car, yet my interior still there......my goal is to have a balanced car. Not too fast, not too slow, and quick on the turns witch our cars are ment to be

Comment

Subbin to watch the progress. Good luck

Jack just said you could swap the fly and clutch from the b6d onto the bp.
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Yea, so you're doin good so far since you'll wanna upgrade your clutch if you're going BP with B6 stuff.

JACK.
                  -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                  http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

ok if I go with a BP what do I need? do I need a different ECU, how about engine harness?

Comment

ok so nobody replyed at my last post so I went with the stock b6 engine here are some pics of the engine
                      Attached Files

Comment

there is a whole BP swap into an MX guide on mx-3.com search there. Its off of the main page.
                        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

i believe u need the different ecu for the bp-t

Comment

you can run the NA ecu you just need some sort of added piggy back like e-manage or SAFC.
                            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                            X