bp went KABOOM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bp went KABOOM!

...or sorta. i lost all compression on cylinder 2 while i was running my 50 shot of nitrous(no one flame on nitrous cuz yalls no nothin about it and im not here to discuss it). when i took the spark plug out, steam/smoke started flowing out the cylinder, possibly coming from the oil pan. also when i compression tested that blown cylinder, it was at ZERO psi.

so light smoke from cylinder, and 0 psi on cylinder.
    my question is could valves be stuck open some how, or bent? or can piston rings alone cause zero psi of compression?? this happened suddenly by the way as soon as i let off the nitrous. it made no distinct noise when i lost compression and my block is fine.
    Last edited by nitrous_protege; 04-05-2007, 01:10 AM.

steam is water... maybe you just blew your head gasket?
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Comment

Worse case you got a hole in your block or piston...
      Least worse, you blew a head gasket...

Looks like you need some ARP head studs.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
      Member of MX-3.com
      1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
      1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

hmm, tomorrow ill take the head off and see whats up. blown headgaskets cant cause zero compression right?? and also i doubt theres a hole in the cylinder, or else coolant would have filled the cylinder.

Comment

also i didnt know pistons can get a hole in them... can they?

Comment

yes pistons can get holes, my cousin has one burned right through, rings still there, but the piston is missing a chunk. ran like crap too. if steam came out I'd hazard a guess a busted gasket+vaporized coolant=steam. was it sweet smelling?
            No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

I'll take a picture of this really kewl piston at work with a hole thru it... it was in an alchohol drag boat.

How's your coolant level?

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
              Member of MX-3.com
              1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
              1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

most likely the head gasket but I'd be careful with dry nitrous as well. It could also be something like a burnt valve or broken piston due to detonation caused by the nitrous.
                Last edited by Lex; 04-04-2007, 01:56 AM.

Comment

another BP get handed its ticket outa this world
                  is it the first of many???

1996 ST205 Toyota Celica GT4 | 1991 BG 323 Astina GT, BP N/A 138WHP *Gone*.
                  1990 BG Ford Laser S (jdm), soon to be 220whp KL-ZE track hack

Comment

I think this thread needs to go into the zoom zoom boom section.
                    Thread moved!!! update with pics if you can.
                    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

yea guys im pullin my crap apart tomorrow so ill get some pics. hopefully its nothing too bad.

remember you guys, i have ZER0, not 1 psi of compression in the dang cylinder. i think somethings leakin horribly bad

Comment

might of fried an exhaust valve or cracked the head
                        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

i'm gonna jump in and say it's a big hole in your piston. combined with high revs, spark, and nos, it probably burned a chunk right out of your piston and it feel down into your oil and that's why smoke was coming out of the spark plug hole.
                          Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

Originally posted by deadly_sleeper View Post
                            i'm gonna jump in and say it's a big hole in your piston. combined with high revs, spark, and nos, it probably burned a chunk right out of your piston and it feel down into your oil and that's why smoke was coming out of the spark plug hole.
                            im leaving for school right now but when i get back ill check. i bet you anything your right though. i retarded the ignition about 3 degrees and upped the fuel pressure to about 65 while doing the 50 shot. problem was i was using hot friggin spark plugs temporaily, so yea.

Comment

ok theres a chunk missing from the exhaust valve here... haha not too bad i guess. how did nitrous crack the valve? and whats with the other exhaust valves?? they look really discolored. do i have to replace those too?

pistons are hella black but theyre okay haha. my 18th birthday today!! hell yea!

are these any good for replacing??
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by nitrous_protege; 04-05-2007, 01:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X