Jspec bumper concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jspec bumper concerns

I've got this OEM replica spoiler that needs to be painted to match before it goes on my 98 DX.

If I've got to get paint matched and sprayed, I'm going to go ahead and do the jspec front bumper at the same time.

My concern...I've read conflicting info as to whether this is a bolt on affair. Someone mentioned that the bumper support has to be removed....making the bumper useless as far as I'm concerned.

Any thoughts?

yup, you got it...the support behind it has to be removed (its just a few bolts)....looks good, but not very safe.
    For more pics of the bumper and other jspec parts, check out my car at www.sounddomain.com/id/kdawgone
    heres one after my JDM bumper was backed into at 10kmh causing 4k in damage!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Well screw that then...I'm not going to sacrifice function for fashion. Not on this car anyway.

I would prefer to know that I can take a minor fender bender without totaling the car.

Why doesn't the support fit? Can it be modified to work or is ther just no way?

Comment

daven... i'm working on having at least one style kit made that will allow both front and back rebars to stay on... check out the thread i started and add some input ....

.. as far as modifying the jspec one i was going to do that but bruce and many others told me not to even try ... even a very good body shop where i used to live told me not to do that... it might mess up the bumper and then i'd have to just buy a new one and start over
        In the Garage
        Black 93 MX-3 GS
        Bp powered
        GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
        MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Yeah, there is NO WAY to make it fit.
          However, you CAN weld in your own rebar...itll help a bit.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
          1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
          Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

dang... is that expensive? would that make it legal? cause here in the states if i put on the jspec front end and i decide to sell i have to remove it and put the rebar back on or i become liable....
            In the Garage
            Black 93 MX-3 GS
            Bp powered
            GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

As far a legalities go, im not sure (but I doubt it).
              Im not too worried about the legal reasons, but for safety, im doing it. Its very cheap as you could just weld in angle iron. You will still be able to put the factory bar on (and bumper) if you decide to sell it too.
              This is to protect rad, etc...it likely wont distribute the impact like the factory bar will though.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)

Comment

I am not sure even if the Erebuni kits keep the rebar, maybe that ugly one(style 728). But, if some one was to make one for our cars and we could save our rebars, the kits would not look that good. Rebar takes a huge chunk of space, so the look of the bumper is going to be dependant on what ever free space there is left to work with. Also, its going to be very low, and would preferably be made of urethane or poly-urethane. Just look at my car and see where aprx rebar is placed.

Attached Files
                "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

the rebar takes up very little space.. its the styrofoam part infront of the rebar that makes it stick out.. have you even looked behind a bumper before?
                  In the Garage
                  Black 93 MX-3 GS
                  Bp powered
                  GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

Yes, I have looked behind my bumper, and I was refering to the styrofoam part.
                    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

so then it wouldn't look like crap to have a kit with the rebar there... the rebar barely sticks out
                      In the Garage
                      Black 93 MX-3 GS
                      Bp powered
                      GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

Regardless, the bumper AND styrofoam have to come off.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                        1.8L 97 LX (CDN)

Comment

no. erebuni kit fits on with the large yellow thingy still on (the actual bumper) It does however require the back to be removed. I know this for fact

Comment

aasylum,
                            I know. i was reffering to the JDM one!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                            1.8L 97 LX (CDN)

Comment

I know i was talkin about turboinums post

Comment

Working...
                              X