sohc tranny VS dohc tranny....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sohc tranny VS dohc tranny....

im not sure if we already had this question but i need to know something...
    i know the dohc is stronger but how about the gear ratio?
    i was searching the web and saw this guy on one of the sites he was saying that the protege lx tranny has short gears...
    But in my opinion the 323 tranny has shorter gears than the lx.
    The reason y im asking is bcuz i will be buying stage 1 clutch and a 60 shot nos and will be using my 323 sohc tranny....

The Protege LX turns roughly 3k rpms at 60mph, or 3500 @ 70, 4000 @ 80, etc. That is what is meant by short.
    David Avard
    '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
    '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
    '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

thats wuts happening on my rpm but the difference is i have sohc tranny w/ bp motor. So how about that?

Comment

you should not see a difference. you still should be running 2,500 at 60... if anything, i would say that there is clutch slip going on or something is up. Also which flywheel are you using? are you using the 190mm clutch? atx, or mtx?

long gears have low number short gears have higer numbers. take a look at edwin's FAQ page. "G" serise tranny has shorter gears than the "F" series. this is why all the lx people want the 626 5th gear to lenghten their gear box.
        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
        So his engine he goosed
        With much too much boost,
        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

no clutch slipping here. I should know. 2500k rpm @60 mph hmm... let me go check it out later then i'll let u guys know aight. thx. BTW anyone know a place where i can get a good/decent price for a performance stage 1 clutch? " dont link me to corksport i dont like their costumer service" thx again.

Comment

60mph @ 2,800rpm

Comment

hmmm interesting.

for clutches i would get an ACT clutch or an excedy clutch. and remember to quote what flywheel you have not what engine you have. when buying a clutch

So his engine he goosed

Comment

cool thanks...

Comment

heh, get a slow ass automatic.. then you'll cruise 500 rpms lower between 50 and 90 mph. guess it has all to do with gears, but my car will cruise around 2,500 rpms at around 60, or 3,000 to 3,250 at 70, anywhere from 3,250 to 3,600 at 80 depending on incline. dunno what gear the car is in, but does 100 mph at around 4,500 rpms. then again, won't go any faster than 112 or so (115 down hill at full throttle). again, this is MY car, dunno about other automatics. needless to say, the trans is a rebuilt with 40k on it, and it's slow as balls
                  peace

Comment

automatic == tall ass gears. my automatic is at lower RPMs in 4th gear than my stick in 5th. oh well
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

well yeah. ATX usually only have 4 gears in econocars.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

My friend's 2001 corolla had 3. I didn't like driving that thing
                        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

3... wow stupid slow ass corolla

So his engine he goosed

Comment

3 gears ,, that's it ... ohh gosh ...
                            I hear the new nissan moron (that's what I call it) has like some time of seemless tranny. You can't feal the car changing gears or something like that... I'll stick with my 323...
                            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Originally posted by bruce95fmla
                              3 gears ,, that's it ... ohh gosh ...
                              I hear the new nissan moron (that's what I call it) has like some time of seemless tranny. You can't feal the car changing gears or something like that... I'll stick with my 323...
                              The Murano has what is called a CVT, or Continuously Variable Transmission. They usually have a 6:1 or 7:1 range between low and high, where most sticks and autos are 4:1, or at most 5:1 (not counting trucks). If you've driven a go-kart or a scooter, you've experienced CVT in it's most basic form.

The advantage of a CVT is that you can let the engine accelerate where it makes the most power, and just change the ratios, instead of fighting with dropping out of the fat part of the torque curve.

Used in the Audi A4 V-6, it's almost as fast as the stick (probably faster with an average driver), kills the auto (over a sec 0-60), yet gets better mileage than either tranny. For those that want it, Audi has 6 intermediate ratios, but it's slower that way.

In the Murano's case, they get the benefit of having more than 4 gears in the trans. It's probably 0.5 sec quicker to 60 than if it had a auto, and gets better mileage too.
                              David Avard
                              '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                              '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                              '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

Working...
                              X