more fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more fun

i am looking at possibly getting a 99-2001 protege. one of my main concerns is fun to drive.

1)how does the 2001 lx 2.0 compare to the es in terms of fun to drive? i know the es has better brakes, large wheels and different tires, is there anything else?

2)for fun to drive would i be better off getting a 99/00 or a 01 protege?

how does the 1.8 liter engine compare to 2.0 liter engine when it comes to fun to drive. i know the 2.0 liter has more power and torque but i also know that it powers a heavier car and i might of heard it does not rev as freely.

i know fun to drive is broad so sorry about any vaugeness.

thanks guys, i plan to become a regular here.

edit: sorry about the placement of this topic, i guess it would be better of in the Engine/Drivetrain Tech and Peformance section.
    Last edited by impulse374; 11-30-2003, 05:52 PM.

I guess it sort of depends on how you define "fun to drive." Pretty much any Protege corners like it's on rails, and will eat up a twisty road without any problem. But none of them are particularly fast, at least not stock. My car has the 2.0, and I know it has enough power to get out of its own way, and plenty of midrange torque. 40-70mph is pretty quick, but 0-60 really isn't. I'd guess the 1.8 would be a little pokier, but probably fine.

As far as I know (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong), the suspension is the same across the board, and they're all very good. The disc/drum brakes (DX, LX) are excellent, and I'd imagine the 4-wheel discs on the ES are even better.
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

That is why Modifiying the Pro is fun. You can always improve the car. except for power, a turbo can only do so much
      <-why i can't fix my car

http://www.revtvguam.com
      AFwestPunk's AutoJam Imagestation photo album! You better have High speed internet!

Comment

A 99/00 ES 1.8 and a 01+ ES 2.0 are about the same acceleration wise, even though the 01 has a larger engine. Most likely due to the 01+ being heavier.

For me, I'd take the lighter, more rev-happy 1.8 engine. Plus IMO the (stock) front end looks better. If only you could have the 01+'s more refined interior with the exterior of the 99/00's.
        Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I definately like the exterior of the 99/00 better. But the newer ones do have nice interiors. Just whatever you do don't buy the 1.6 if you are looking for power.

Comment

If you are gonna try and hook up any kind of pwer you are better off staring with the 2.0 since there is a great deal more aftermarket support already and it grows everyday

Comment

The 1999/2000 is lighter (noiser), and is supposed to have a more usable power-band. Makes a lot better handling car.
              2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

thanks guys.

i do not have the cash to do any serious modding, which really hurts my desire for a protege. while being pushed back into your seat or minor racing is a blast, the 1.8 with a 5spd should be good enough. i like the looks of the 01+ considerably more but they are signifigantly more expensive and now that i am sure the 1.8 reves better and makes the car handle better it looks like im going to look for a 99/00 es.

this is off topic but how much of a problem do you think i would have finding a 5spd with a sunroof? there are none on autotrader within 50 miles.

Comment

where you live?

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
                  RB springs
                  Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
                  MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

Most of us on here don't have the cash for serious modding at any given time... that's why projects stretch out for so long. One little thing at a time, but they add up after a while. That's what makes it fun.

Comment

damn you jsut kileld all my hopes and dreams with that 1.6 comment. haha
                      the question is, what should do to my 1.6 Engi in order to void it?
                      Visit My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by impulse374
                        this is off topic but how much of a problem do you think i would have finding a 5spd with a sunroof? there are none on autotrader within 50 miles.
                        Well, the ES comes standard with sunroof. I know there's a few people on the board with a ES 5 speed. Just be patient and maybe stretch out your radius a little more.
                        '99 Protege ES

Mostly stock.

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman112k3
                          damn you jsut kileld all my hopes and dreams with that 1.6 comment. haha
                          the question is, what should do to my 1.6 Engi in order to void it?
                          Got Booost? well that's my answer anyway, I'm sure someone else will have a better response.

Comment

Boost: it's whats for breakfast
                            Boost: how money = speed.
                            Boost: Adding a little Vroom Vroom to your Zooom Zoom
                            Got Boost?
                            Visit My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman112k3
                              Boost: it's whats for breakfast
                              Boost: how money = speed.
                              Boost: Adding a little Vroom Vroom to your Zooom Zoom
                              Got Boost?
                              LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X