Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Numb clutch + rubbery throttle = bad engine mount?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numb clutch + rubbery throttle = bad engine mount?

I need a little help diagnosing a problem that my car has had for about 2500 miles now, on and off, though it's been getting worse. When it first happened, I thought the clutch was slipping, but it isn't. Took it to the dealer, they said everything was fine. Drove it for about a week, then the problem came back, but not as bad. Went away again. Came back again.

The symptoms:
    1. No feel to the clutch pedal. You can't feel when it starts to take up at all, but it engages normally. Feels the same in every gear, every rpm, every temperature. Just sort of numb.

2. Gas pedal is touchy, but has a tiny "lag" in it. Even noticeable just revving it in neutral. It acts like the linkage is connected by a rubber band. It also has a lag before it starts to lose revs if you let off the gas.

The car acclerates normally, and has plenty of power, and I got about 32mpg this weekend, so I know the clutch isn't slipping. My guess is an engine mount has gone bad; does this sound right?

It's going back to Mazda again soon. But although my dealer does give me "prompt and friendly service," they can't troubleshoot worth a damn, so I have to tell them where to look. What do you think-- Engine mount? Any other ideas?
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for
Working...
X