Aftermarket stereo dimming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aftermarket stereo dimming?

I just put a new Kenwood head unit in my '91 LX. Works great except that it doesn't dim when I turn on the headlights... has anyone made this work? (Yes, the HU has dimming capability and it is on- the factory stereo didn't dim either.)
    I have wired the illumination wires in the harness adaptor but I assume that it doesn't directly correspond to what's in the car.
    Thanks,
    Chris
    '91 Protege LX
    '99 Miata sport

thread moved.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Try connecting the radio's ILLUM lead directly at the dimmer switch (solid red wire) there may be a break in that wire within the loom to the back of the radio.

Oh wait, you said headlights....so you mean dim like the clock does? I never played with that dimming aspect. You'd have to test the wires at the clock plug.

but it does dim with the dash lights and the dimmer switch then?

Comment

there might be some alterior way of doing such as daryl mentioned, i've wired 2 first gen radios and the illumination/dimming option is not available directly on the stock wiring harness, nor would i know what kind of a charge it would need to trigger the headunit dimming also probably varies from head unit to head unit. not 100% sure on the matter, hopefully someone can key you in on this.
        peace

Comment

This might not be helpful because I've got a 2nd gen but I kinda wondered that too. There wasn't a dimmer wire on my HU wiring harness. Can you just connect the dim wire in the the illum wires from the wiring harness(car) and the wiring harness from the HU?

<marquee>'97 Tan LX 5-speed-Clear corners, "poor mans" grill, 15in. Gunmetal/Polished Konig Holes covered with Dunlop GT Qualifiers, B&M short shifter installed and lovin it, custom leather black leather boot, MazdaSpeed Shift knob, Eibach Pro-Kit, Custom cold air intake Head Unit-Pioneer DEH-3500MP Speakers-Sony Xplod XS-V1621(3-way)6.5s(Front Doors) Infinity 652i(2-way)6.5s(Rear Doors) Pioneer TS-A6990R(5-way)6x9s(Rear Deck) Amps-Kenwood KAC-7201/Pioneer GM-X352 Subs-2-JL 12 W3s in Dual box, redone LED 3rd brake light(doesn't look like crap anymore). More I.C.E. on the way.</marquee>
          Formerly '90 White Miata w/ 2 8" Laser Blue stripes
          I hate the short nose crankshaft. It took my car away from me.

Comment

I emailed Kenwood to find out what this particular HU is expecting to get from the Illum. wire. It just wants +12V, so I guess this HU will only dim like the clock does. I'll try to get to work on this over the weekend if I can find a warm enough place to do it and report back.
            Thanks for all the suggestions.
            Chris
            '91 Protege LX
            '99 Miata sport

Comment

My Kenwood, Z919, only has two modes. Full bright and dim (though you can select how dim from three options). It basically works off the variable dimmer voltage, when it hits a certain threshold it is bright or dim. It must not be 12 (or 13.8) VDC as it turns out that it end up having a feature I really like this way.

When I have the lights on at night I usually turn the dimmer down for the dash lights a bit... in this situation the HU is in dim mode. But if I turn the dash lights all the way up then the HU sees sufficient signal to go into full bright as well. That is really nice for when I am driving around in the day with the lights on (rainy day for example) and I can still see the HU clearly.

I would try and figure out how to tap into the variable voltage from the dimmer control and wire that as the input to the HU.
              --JJB--
              '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
              Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
              16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
              15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
              Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Just to follow up on this- I ended up tapping the + wire for the cigarette lighter lamp which is conveniently located right below the stereo and connected that to the orange & white wire on the head unit. This particular head unit, a Kenwood KDC-MPV622, is only bright or dim, so it doesn't vary with the dash illumination but, rather, dims the way the clock does.
                Chris
                '91 Protege LX
                '99 Miata sport

Comment

Working...
                X