Cleaning your engine bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning your engine bay

Here's how I clean my engine bay. A spray bottle of Simple Green and a brush to use on stuck on grime should be enough to clean off your valve cover, airbox, and other engine components. After I let the Simple Green soak in, I spray off the engine bay with a mist of water. Be sure to cover electrical components or try not to spray on them directly.

That's all it takes to get these results:
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Do u cover the belts as well. And what kinda brush wire? Im not sure if my motor will look as tip top as that one mines 10 years old and prob has a oil leak somewhere ..Jon

Comment

Would you mind specifying exactly what you cover when you do this process? You leave the engine running at the same time? Thanks for the help.

BTW your engine bay does look reeeaaallly clean man!

Comment

Man, I so need to do that. Cablemirc has a super clean engine bay also, you guys put me to shame! Here is mine, not too dirty but nowhere close to yours!

Engine
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

In that pic it looks like your right light is from a 94 protege :-/

Comment

Originally posted by itzkcatz
            In that pic it looks like your right light is from a 94 protege :-/
            Yeppers, it is! I got it on eBay and didn't find out till I got it. So Im stuck with it till I find a new one.
            2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

No wonder your pick has just your left headlight lol

Comment

Originally posted by itzkcatz
                No wonder your pick has just your left headlight lol
                LOL....you figured me out!
                2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Dont feel bad i had mismatching tailights for a year :-)

Comment

I personally do not cover anything under the hood. I just don't spray directly onto the spark plugs, MAF, cruise control actutator, fuse box, etc w/ both the hose and Simple Green. I leave the engine off while I'm cleaning it...after it's all sprayed off and clean, I like to start her up to make sure I didn't break anything.
                    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

What about carb cleaner?. i know that **** works wonders...

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                        I personally do not cover anything under the hood. I just don't spray directly onto the spark plugs, MAF, cruise control actutator, fuse box, etc w/ both the hose and Simple Green. I leave the engine off while I'm cleaning it...after it's all sprayed off and clean, I like to start her up to make sure I didn't break anything.
                        I got water down one of my sparkplug holes one time. I thought I screwed my engine. It was fine after I got all the water out though.:p
                        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

I spent over an hour cleaning my engine bay today. Things you do when you have too much time. **** looks good. I want to get some of that Simply Green and use that to dress it up. Amazing how oil **** gets gunked up in there like a powdery mist cover! I feel good that I am taking care of my Pro this way. I just got the oil changed yesterday and put a new air filter in (stock still, no CAI). It's supposed to rain all weekend, so no washing for me any time soon! Between Fabian and the thing out in the Gulf, we expect 80% tonight and 100% Saturday. Maybe this is good because I am supposed to be taking it easy from my hernia surgery this weekend and next week. I had the surgery last Friday. I am a fitness buff, so that is the hardest thing to resist, lifting and running. DOH!
                          2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                          KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                          Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                          Groundkit

Comment

Re: Cleaning your engine bay

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                            Here's how I clean my engine bay. A spray bottle of Simple Green and a brush to use on stuck on grime should be enough to clean off your valve cover, airbox, and other engine components. After I let the Simple Green soak in, I spray off the engine bay with a mist of water. Be sure to cover electrical components or try not to spray on them directly.

That's all it takes to get these results:
                            You ought to do a How To section on it (I didn't check, so apologies in adv if already done) Looks great though!! I used some steel wool to help get some of the stuff off too, but will keep up by using Simple Green which I just got yesterday for the car.
                            2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
                            KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
                            Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
                            Groundkit

Comment

im dreading this task this weekend...
                              a.k.a. benf000

support your local punk rock scene!

Comment

Working...
                              X