1.6 b6de to 1.8 BP swap question about harness/vics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.6 b6de to 1.8 BP swap question about harness/vics

I have come to you guys looking for some advice?would be very thankful if you guys help me out.
    Here's the scoop.i have a auto 94 mx3 1.6L,just swapped in a 1.8L Jspec bp from a jdm engine place.i am not sure what Gen exactly it is,they say 94 but ive been looking and i think it might be newer model with VICS(i will post a pic of the engine)So i am running the engine currently with the 1.6L Ecu and it runs fine,but got poor gas mileage think its running rich.I have read that if u have 2 plug clips going to your ecu that its a manual and 3 is auto.but thats not true because mine only has 2 clips and its an auto and as far as i can tell most ecu that are auto have 3?.So my question is should i get the Jspec ecu and most likely harness to match?does this engine have VICS?does VICS add any more horsepower,if its like a VTEC as i understand it should right?how do i hook it up?And one of my tanny mounts sit crocked(pic)
    Attached Files

It's probably running too lean rather than rich... meaning you're not getting enough fuel. You should get the right harness and ecu... I don't think you need the JDM one, you can probably get the ProLX (US) or ProGT (CDN) ecu.

Since the VICS are not hooked up that's why you're not getting good gas mileage. VICS works like this, it opens an extra runner in the higher RPM ranges. It's nothing like VTEC, which changes the timing accordingly.

Your mount is probably busted... get a new one.

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
    Member of MX-3.com
    1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
    1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

so if its running lean,does that mean when its getting the proper fuel ratio i will notice a gain in power?and gas mileage?
      Where do the vics wires go?so you say they are not hooked up?so this engine does have them?,can you guys guess the year of this engine, is it 94?can you see from the pics where the vics need to be hooked up?2 wires right?thanks guys.

anybody know how many clips are on an auto protege lx ecu?will my harness work?
      Last edited by Terry Mx3; 06-09-2007, 12:02 AM. Reason: Need more info

Comment

It's prolly a 2nd gen BP. In any case, you need the BP ecu as you want to connect the VICS solenoid by running an extra wire from the solenoid to the BP ecu. Somebody could prolly post the wiring for you.

Comment

ya its a New gen 95-98 i believe. are you using your stock transmission? i have a 95rs with a dohc engine in it and im gonna install a new gen bp. any other problems you incountered besides the vics? ya the vics is actually that greenish/brown colored diaphram on end side of your intake manifold. right by your charcoal canister. im pretty sure all new gen bp's came with vics. nice install
          Jon

Comment

I am using the G Family Transmission out of a protege LX. Engine and tranny are Jspec and were in awesome conditon. Well as far as Problems i incountered;i never got the BP ecu harness with the motor so that caused a few headaches if you can get the harness get it,The intake injector rail electrical conection to the harness was diffrent than the B6,so to fix that used the 1.6 rail on the BP I dont know if that impacts anything you would think it would?. I plan on getting the proper harness one day,and ecu. The 1.6 harness doesnt have the vics 2 wire clip.And you need the CV Axles off a protege LX because the 1.8 block is one inch longer than the b6 so one of them were short(passenger) .Use all the mounts from the protege.as you can see above with the 1.6 mount sat crooked in the pic above,bought pro LX mount solved problem.The Motor runs Beautifly in the mx3,as it sits right now im giving civic si's a run for their money without having the vics operating. I look forward to get the BP10 ecu or BP09 anybody out their like one over another?Anybody have BP10 4 sale?

Terry

Comment

Working...
            X