Pictures of MSP Struts and Springs on 99 LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pictures of MSP Struts and Springs on 99 LX

With ProtegeClub.com going crazy, I thought I should move over some of my old how-to's I've posted over there to here. While they are still available.

Original Post:6-26-2003
    ---------------------------------
    Went to change my oil at the local hobby shop, so I had a chance to take these pics, here you go.

Clint/1999 "Sport20"

I noticed you don't have the second cat. Are you having any issues with the CEL coming on??

Comment

Huh? My exhaust is completely stock except for the Mazdaspeed axle-back. I guess the 1.6'ers don't have a second cat.
      Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

I think it's the freakin California laws. My car is a 99 LX as well, and it does have a second cat right after the second O2 sensor. Sucks cause the car feels much better without it. It triggers CEL without it. Oh well!!

Comment

Originally posted by slikpro
          I think it's the freakin California laws. My car is a 99 LX as well, and it does have a second cat right after the second O2 sensor. Sucks cause the car feels much better without it. It triggers CEL without it. Oh well!!
          It's probably because you have the California Emissions package on your Pro. Mine didn't have that option when I bought it. I think the option reduced the horsepower to 103 if I recall correctly.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Just curious, where did you get the MSP struts and springs and for how much?

Going a bit more off-topic, with regards to the 2003.5 MSP, what are the major suspension differences between that and the P5? I'm guessing strut tower bar and rear sway bar, is there anything else?

I plan on doing some autocrossing in the future so I want to get all this stuff in my head, though I'll probably race stock for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by gizzard
              Just curious, where did you get the MSP struts and springs and for how much?

Going a bit more off-topic, with regards to the 2003.5 MSP, what are the major suspension differences between that and the P5? I'm guessing strut tower bar and rear sway bar, is there anything else?

I plan on doing some autocrossing in the future so I want to get all this stuff in my head, though I'll probably race stock for a while.
              I got the MSP struts and springs off Mazdastuff.com. $460 for the struts/$240 for springs.

The suspension differences on the MSP compared to the Pro5 are the retuned Tokico struts/Racing Beat springs, beefed up rear subframe, and thicker swaybars front and rear. The tower bar in the Pro5 is the exact same one as the MSP's...but painted a different color.
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

sweet. How do you like that rear bar ...

Looks good under there. I never took a pic of under my car lol ..
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

The rear bar is very nice. It was a very noticeable upgrade unlike other mods. Only beef I have w/ it are the clunks coming from the endlinks and the rusted adjustment blocks.
                  Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Hey NegatiZE, is your car ULEV or just LEV.

My car having both cats is ULEV. I was just wondering cause if I take one out I'd still be legal and hopefully pass a smog check??

I might buy a O2 simulator and remove the second cat. Maybe even a custom downpipe for the primary with a Random Tech High Flow Cat. ****, anything to make it keep up.

Comment

No idea actually. I'm assuming is LEV because it doesn't have the California Emissions package.
                      Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Originally posted by NegatiZE
                        The rear bar is very nice. It was a very noticeable upgrade unlike other mods. Only beef I have w/ it are the clunks coming from the endlinks and the rusted adjustment blocks.

Clunks too from the AWR bar?

Any idea what causes it?
                        "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                        2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

Originally posted by StuttersC
                          Clunks too from the AWR bar?

Any idea what causes it?
                          It's coming from the adjustable endlinks, I think...they move around in their ball joints quite a bit.
                          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Nice tires
                            Bob

www.midnitemekanix.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bizob
                              Nice tires
                              Thanks, but I dont have em anymore. They got eaten up at the autocross really bad. The front right had patches down to the cords. Now I'm rolling on Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's.
                              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Working...
                              X