Melted pistons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Melted pistons

Ok here is the recepy, i built the engine, thinking i was going to go through the n/a way, so i have on my block a 9.5 comp ratio pistons, and bore of 0.50
    My block y absolutly N/A, and using the GTX ECU, with the gtx inyectors, but a fuel pressure regulator barnd SX, at 50 psi, and at WOT it is for 60. but it reads boost so the fuel vs boost ratio on the regulator is 1:1, well i did the wide band and it was on 15, yes 15....and it lasted for 4 months, until i was running on hi-fourth gear and even fith, we it melted using 91 octane pump gas. Timming 16 degrees.
    Attached Files
    94 lx, custom manifold Mitsubishi 16g (EVO III) turbo, XTD stage 3 clutch kit, strut bar, and 3 inches exhaust free flow. Natural aspired Head and Block, RX7 N/A 440 cc injectors, GTX intake manifold, MS2 V3 (stratifiedauto) , SX Fuel pressure regulator, Front mount intercooler, TD05 16g turbo

so i learned the lesson and as soon as i change miy pressure plate, i will instal the SAFC and the 440 rx7 inyectors.
    94 lx, custom manifold Mitsubishi 16g (EVO III) turbo, XTD stage 3 clutch kit, strut bar, and 3 inches exhaust free flow. Natural aspired Head and Block, RX7 N/A 440 cc injectors, GTX intake manifold, MS2 V3 (stratifiedauto) , SX Fuel pressure regulator, Front mount intercooler, TD05 16g turbo

Comment

nice job turn that timing down

Comment

very ouch! you did a nasty number to that piston. what pistons were they?
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

15 AFR under boost is not acceptable as you know. The heat generated and possible detonation will destroy an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
            very ouch! you did a nasty number to that piston. what pistons were they?
            I'd say miata ones since the were 9.5:1

Yeah 15 is way too lean for boosting safely.

Nice pics though.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

If you go to the local store, they do not sell the 9.0 they sell the 9.5 , i have 9.5 over size .50, i had them for $38.95, and the piston rings for 42.50, still using those pistons to the date, but with a peak of 14psi then goes to 13psi on 4th gear.

Comment

how are the rings they sell with those pistons? & the quality of the pistons?
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

About the sealing on the rings, i have been boosting at least 10 psi on a 9.5 config @ .50 and the static compresion is on 170 psi on each cilinder, these are japanese pistons, soon i will do some ceramic coating on a set of new ones.

Comment

i like the sound of that

Comment

ouch this is a shame, im planning on doing the 9:5:1 custom wisco's since the head is done now the bottom end needs some good help!
                      My baby 93' Protege Lx--R.I.P
                      New Baby 94' Protege Lx Black
                      91' Miata - SOLD
                      93' Protege LX new Project (no rust)!
                      Mods: Protege:
                      Engine: Fully built with wiseco 9:1 +1mm ceramic coated tops and molly skirts, M-tuned H beams, ACL Race rod and thrust bearings with King Mains, Arp Mains ,rod and head studs,3 lbs lightend crank, Everything is ballanced, spec stage 3 clutch,lightend flywheel, RX7 Afm, Fidanza Adj. cam gears, timing,Cut intake manifold from BPT323, exintake cam swap,full port and polished head 1mm stainless oversize valves, vf12/vj20Turbo, 3" custom full exhaust w/external wastegate,3" E-Cut, Eclipse crushed BOV , Fmic, Aem Urgo wideband, Autometer boost gauge, Magnaflo Muffler,batt relocated to trunk, slight wire tuck with engine bay fuse box under dash Bp26 ecu
                      Suspension: Energy Suspension rear trailing arms,Es Front Sway bar endlinks,Zx2 Front Sway Bar,El Sport w/bilstein mono tube struts and don't know what springs, Suspension Tequniques Rear Sway bar with Es endlinks,mx3 rear lower tie bar. corksport SS brakelines and clutch line.
                      Exterior: Adler Racing 16"s ,Mx6 Front lip,EGT Glass Sunroof,Edm Headlight & corners EGT side skirts,Gt Led wing, Led interior 3rd brake light
                      Audio: few things polk momo 6.5 components, VW Monsoon Front Componants with monsoon amp,alpine head unit
                      sigpic

Comment

yeah that 15:1 afr killed you. i run 10.2:1 comp ratio, 11.5afr on my lsvtec and 9psi, my timing is in the 20s.

Comment

Working...
                        X