Guess that Axle Noise...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guess that Axle Noise...

Heh, sorry, no game to play. for the longest time, i have had this nasty clicking noise coming from my wheels making tight, usually low speed turns (in and out of parking spaces, turning off of side streets...etc..etc. well, it's pissing me off to no end. i've had it looked at by 2 mechanics, have had the axles on both the drivers and passenger's side replaced within the past year... the noise disappeared for about a month after having the axles, but it came back. i was wondering what other components of the front end could cause this noise. it is by no means a grinding noise.. but couldn't totally rule out wheel bearings. just wondering what your guy's input on the matter would be.
    peace

It sound like a bad cv-joint. What kind of axles did you get? Do you get the sound when you turn both ways or only in one direction? Has it been getting worse over time?
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

jack the fron for your car up, grab a wheel and shake it. What happens? is there give in any direction?
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

it happens when turning both directions.. forward and reverse.. but i can't isolate it to drivers or passenger's side. as far as jacking the car up... when i went out to jersey, adam and i noticed that the passenger's side wheel had a 'little' play turning it back and forth.. i'd have to jack the car up and see if it has any play in and out. even from what i remember, just turning the wheel hub with the passenger's side tire off, the wheel hub didn't move more than an inch or two in either direction. i'll jack the car up on saturday when it's not so cold (so they said) and i'll take a better look at it.

funny thing my one mechanic said while the boots weren't torn, there could have been some 'under greasing' issue in the axle, while my buddy who installed the axles said he's never heard of such a thing. beats me...
        peace

Comment

Well I don't know ..
          If your ball joint was bad, I don't think it would make any noise.
          You can check the Lower Ball Joint by jacking up the car and holding the tire and trying to move it from side to side. If it moves excessively then you need to change the ball joint.

I think your problem may be more related to your axles. Maybe you got faulty axles, when you purchased them ... I would say take them off and get a new set.
          This type of work you should learn to do yourself. It will save you a crap load of money
          photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Sounds odd.

Since you've changed the axles, I'd hope that can be ruled out.

I'd put the front up on jackstands and put the car in gear and get the wheels going and see if the noise is still there. Could be a number of things if it isn't the axles.

Don't be afraid to get down and dirty with the problem.
            My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
            - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

The great thing about the protege is that if you need to lift the car up, you can do it with your bare hands. No jackstands required. I mean come on, the whole car only weighs how much?!?

j/k j/k..... someone's gonna break their back trying to pick up their car, and I'm gonna get sued.....
              ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

I would say it is the cv joint mine is doin that on the front driver side too
                Ratrod

Comment

Try this. Go in an empty parking lot and roll down the windows. Start going in circles slowly as to try to figure out what side the noise is coming from. Turn the wheel all the way to the right and then try left also. A buddy could be useful in determening which side the noise is coming from. I had the exact same problem as in your description and it turned out to be the cv-joint so I am almost positive one or both of your cv-joint(s) are shot....
                  '91 LX
                  '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
                  well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Working...
                  X