This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J-spec Headlight Question

I got into an accident with my 97 Pro LX luckly i don't think it's totaled the airbags didn't even go off but my bumper and passenger side fender and the hood and stuff need to be replaced. Also both lights need to be replaced and i was wondering if the J-spec Headlights will fit even if i go with a stock style bumper and grill? Most people would say that now would be a great time to get the J-spec bumper too. But from what i can gather on the other posts you can't do this without some functionablity conserns like you have to take out the rebar and stuff.
    real drivers accelerate for the corners

If you are willing to spend $250 on a set of new JDM headlights, thats no problem. They go right in place of stock headlights. As for bumper concerns, you are right about the safety concerns stated in previous threads.
    "Probable impossibilities are to be preferred to improbable possibilities."

Comment

E-spec, you want E-spec lights (assuming you are in a country where they drive on the right side of the road)!!!... how many times has that been said on this board... J-spec lights are for right hand drive cars and cast light into oncoming traffic when used in a left hand drive application!
      --JJB--
      '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
      Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
      16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
      15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
      Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Okay, where can we find E-spec lights, and how much do they cost? Does anyone here have a contact we can call to get them shipped? I'd love to have the glass lenses instead of these lousy plastic ones

Comment

i've read many posts about jspec lights and aparantly its not anywhere near as bad as people claim... the jspec lights work just fine over here... just make sure you get the right year lights cause if you have a 95-96 the 2nd gen jspec lights won't fit your car cause they only fit the 97-98
          In the Garage
          Black 93 MX-3 GS
          Bp powered
          GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
          MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

Comment

Alright thanks guys by the way 250 isn't too much to shell out considering the cheapest i can find new headlights is 230 for the set (115 a piece) so an extra 20 bucks i would say is well worth it. Couldn't you just adjust the lights so they point farther to the left? Or do they not adjust quite to that extent? Although if sombody has any info on how to get those E-spec ones i would really like that info. Thanks much again and look both ways twice!
            Last edited by labikesrcool; 12-04-2003, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Ok, as one of only THREE people in NORTH AMERICA with the 97/8 JDM headlights, I can attest to the fact that they BARELY throw light into oncomming traffic. So little, in fact, that I have NEVER been flashed.

Ive seen REAL JDM Civic lights (and other Honda lights) and yes, they throw the light into oncomming traffic pretty bad.

Oh, one other thing. The lights dont AIM to the left, the SCATTER to the left. The aim is dead center, but, then fades to the left.

So yes, go ahead and buy them. Youll be happy you did! Especially if you throw in a set of PIAA's or buy REAL HID!!!

If anyone wants to 'know' about JDM headlights for the 97/8, ONLY talk to me, patrick or Luc (as he just bought my old set of lights).

Thanks.
              Kris
              events@toprotege.com
              Attached Files

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
              Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Originally posted by JJB
                E-spec, you want E-spec lights (assuming you are in a country where they drive on the right side of the road)!!!... how many times has that been said on this board... J-spec lights are for right hand drive cars and cast light into oncoming traffic when used in a left hand drive application!
                So far I didn't find anything such as E-spec healights for 2nd gen. protege. Anyway, is there any cars using the same headlights in Europe ? I mean same as JDM, but for the right hand driving ? I'm gonna get JDM ones as soon as I'll save money for them , just looking for other alternatives though.
                98 protege LX for appearance
                89 626 GT for performance

Comment

Hey K Dawg how does that "wedge style" socket work? Is it just a totally seperate compartment that you can put city lights in or your strobes or what not. or is it something to do with highs and lows?

Comment

labikesrcool
                    yup, you hit the nail right on the head.
                    Mine arent hooked up right now, butm ill likely wire them in to be my DRL...
                    Or maybe strobes for a show...i dont know yet...lol
                    You get the socket for that bulb...but the wireing is up to you!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
                    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
                    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

As one of the three (is there really only three of us in NA with these things???) people with the JDM lights, I can attest to the fact that they don't blind oncoming traffic as most seem to want you to believe. Think about it: Do your current lights point off into the dingweeds to the right? No. Inversely the JDM lights don't aim left. They do send light into the other lane, but only as far out and as high as they shine in front of you. Oncoming traffic is acustomed to seeing light from the front of your car - the JDM lights don't change that.

I was nervous about the beam pattern as well which is why I bought them from KDawg used instead of plunking down the full amount for a new set. I didn't want to get stuck with something obnoxious to oncoming traffic. I've only had them in for about 400 miles (most of those have been at night) and I've also yet to get flashed. I doubt I ever will. The lights are simply not aimed at oncoming traffic as to cause them to.

The wedge style socket is a seperate socket that could be fitted with any '194' style bulb. Since there aren't provisions in the US market wiring harness for powering a bulb in that location you have to rig up your own. No biggie if you know your way around electrical wiring. I haven't done anything with mine, either.
                      '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

Originally posted by K Dawg ONE
                        Ok, as one of only THREE people in NORTH AMERICA with the 97/8 JDM headlights, I can attest to the fact that they BARELY throw light into oncomming traffic. So little, in fact, that I have NEVER been flashed.

Ive seen REAL JDM Civic lights (and other Honda lights) and yes, they throw the light into oncomming traffic pretty bad.

Oh, one other thing. The lights dont AIM to the left, the SCATTER to the left. The aim is dead center, but, then fades to the left.

So yes, go ahead and buy them. Youll be happy you did! Especially if you throw in a set of PIAA's or buy REAL HID!!!

If anyone wants to 'know' about JDM headlights for the 97/8, ONLY talk to me, patrick or Luc (as he just bought my old set of lights).

Thanks.
                        Kris
                        events@toprotege.com

In that picture do you see how they slant, with the left side higher than the right?

How is that good for a left hand drive car? And why is it fine to send more light into on coming traffic than there should be?
                        "Hey look at me, I'm stupid as hell and can't even breath properly, little alone read!" - Master Shake
                        2001 Mazda Protege MP3, with Flyin' Protege Turbo Kit

www.triplezoom.com

Comment

A misaligned headlight (of which there are ten's of thousands of on the road) sends more light into the other lane. Seeing into the other lane isn't a bad thing - it isn't "blinding" oncoming traffic. The extra light is cast on the road surface.

Is it a 100% perfect situation? No. Is it dangerous? Hardly. At some point I'm going to hook them up to our headlight alignment apparatus at work and see just how far they're off. I'll post back when I've done that.
                          '98 ES - For Sale!

Comment

LHD and RHD have 2 different sets of light for a reason. One set is legal on set is not. in Canada the e-spec lights are legal. the JDM counter parts can get you in a lot of trouble. now each company does have a different theory for lighting geometry. but still respect people. i prefer it when people turn off there brights when they see oncomming traffic.

have some respect, go espec, it was designed for our style of driving.
                            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                            So his engine he goosed
                            With much too much boost,
                            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

hey guys, you're taking about e-spec and I tryed to find something. didn't work- there's nothing about e-spec for 2nd gen. Can you recommend any place to look at ?
                              98 protege LX for appearance
                              89 626 GT for performance

Comment

Working...
                              X