Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glow gauges installation and dashboard removal :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glow gauges installation and dashboard removal :)

First of all I just got my glow gauges and I'm going to install them. Is there someone who did this ? I guess it's not so hard, but I've never done it before. Any help welcome
    At the same time I'm gonna try to get rid of annoing noise coming from the right side of my dashboard in airbag area. It seems like some screw is loose. Where can I get some instructions about removing dashboard ?
    Also I have two tweeters and I want to install them, but didn't decide yet about the place I want to put them. Any suggestions about that ?
    Thanks a lot guys.
    98 protege LX for appearance
    89 626 GT for performance

I have that same BLANKEN noise! if you figure out what it is please share!!! put the tweeters as close to ear level as possible(not nessisarly next to your ears but just on the same horzontal plane) that will make them sound the best. I have seen people put them in there sideview mirror "triangle thingy" for lack of a better term also putting them in your door panel is another option and it's easier to mount them flush with all that room that is behind the panels. As for the indoglows i haven't seen any instaltions of them but i hear that the bracket that holds the top of the instrument panel in place makes a great ground point.
    real drivers accelerate for the corners

Comment

Eugene...
      PM me! I have the gauges installed/ If you havent installed them yet, DO NOT TRY AND REMOVE THE GAS/TEMP GAUGE. IT WILL BREAK!
      The tach and the speedo needles will come of though.
      Heres a pic of them installed:
      Attached Files

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
      1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
      Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

I can tell you how to put the gas/temp part on...it cost me $70 from Mazda for a new gauge cause i broke the needles so dont do it till you talk to me!

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
        1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
        Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

could you tell us all? Or is it really complicated just in case i get some sometime or sombody else does.
          real drivers accelerate for the corners

Comment

yeah, ill tell everyone....
            ill do a HOW-TO, but, give me a day or two...

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
            1.8L 97 LX (CDN)

Comment

You can go to mazda and ask for a GAUGE CLUSTER EXPLOSION print out from the parts dpt. in order to take the cluster out.
              Ok, once you get everything apart and your left with just the gauges (you should have three seperate gauges attahced to one circut board) take a fork, place it under the needle, and slowly and carefully lift the needle STRAIGHT UP off the face of the gauge. ONLY do this for the tach and speedo.
              Remove the tiny screws on the FRONT of the speedo and tach.
              Place your glow gauges ON TOP OF the tach and speedo gauges.
              Put the screws back in through both the glow gauge and the factory ones.
              Without putting the cluster back together, go and plug your whole cluster back into your car.
              Turn your car on.
              Replace your speedo needle so that it sits at '0'
              Replace your tach needle so it sits just under 1000 rpm.
              Unplug the cluster and go back to your work space.
              Get your gas/temp glow gauge.
              With an exacto knife, cut a straight line from the needle holes to right HORIZONTALLY. Cut right through past the edge.
              Now, remove the screws on the front of the temp/gas gauge.
              Slide the glow gauge across the factory gauge and UNDER the needles.
              Replace the screws like you did with the other gauges.
              Wire your gauges up. I used the ACCESSORY (one turn on your light 'stick' ) as the power wire so I can turn my gauges on when i tun on my interior lights.
              Replace everything the way you took them out.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)

Comment

Too complicated. I didn't have to take out any of the needles. I just slid the new gauges in. I was very careful not to apply pressure on the needles. Didn't have any trouble with that - even with the two temp/fuel needles.

Comment

I posted a how to for gauges like a year ago on protegetech forums but i guess its history now. Sorry.
                  sigpic

Comment

Re: Glow gauges installation and dashboard removal

Originally posted by russian
                    Also I have two tweeters and I want to install them, but didn't decide yet about the place I want to put them. Any suggestions about that ?
                    Thanks a lot guys.
                    tweeters... I'll go take a couple of pics later today to show you where I put mine.

Comment

It would be nice to see your pictures. I'm gonna work on my car next sunday, still have some time to chose the right place for them.
                      Can you give more details about sliding gauges in ? I didn't really geet how you did it

Comment

Originally posted by russian
                        It would be nice to see your pictures. I'm gonna work on my car next sunday, still have some time to chose the right place for them.
                        Can you give more details about sliding gauges in ? I didn't really geet how you did it
                        sorry about the pics. I had other things to do and it gets dark really early nowadays, so I can't take pics now. I'll take some tomorrow - I promise!

sliding the gauges in...
                        well, I got the idea from someone else here on the boards. they were saying that risking to brake the needles by removing them is stupid so they just bent the gauge face so it can slide in and in the same time not put pressure on the needle. the faces are really soft and bendable. I had no problem doing that. Just sort of fold it and start sliding it in place but try not to press on the needle - you should be fine. it's a little tricky but if I can do it - anyone can.

just a pointer -- you have to take apart the whole cluster. I thought that I have to remove only the transparent cover and "the thing" (bezel?) that is "pushing the gauges in place" but it turned out that I had to disassemble the cluster and take the gauges out from behind, slide the new gauge faces over the old ones, and put it all back together.

first remove the transparent plastic cover of the cluster, then remove all the screws from the back. you might have to remove one or two of the lights. I remember removing one but I don't remember if it was necessary or not - just turn and pull it out if you see that it is not letting you take the back off. unscrew all the screws and carefully pull out the gauges. and now comes the sliding part....

follow this method and you won't have to cut nor calibrate anything.
                        hope this helps...
                        Last edited by Intruder; 12-07-2003, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Here are the pics I promised.

I am going to use the double sided tape that came with the speakers to attach them to the door panel. Right now they're just hanging because I have a lot of work to do to the doors (rattle fixing).

PS. See how useful a digital camera is? Go buy one!

Comment

Just bought new camera today I have that ruttling in doors too gonna fix it asap . I'll post my pics when it all will be done .

Comment

Haha, nice! Which camera did you buy?

Comment

Working...
                              X