Signals to the stock ECU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Signals to the stock ECU

While attempting to rebuild my wiring harness to my specs, removing all I don't need, and simplifying, I found a lot of switches had a signal sent to the ECU when triggered. Example: the rear defroster sends a 12v trigger to the ECU.
    Why?
    There are a few others as well. Is this a stall prevention system (ie trigger tells ECU to up the fuel/air to prevent a stall)? I know I've turned my highs +extra offroad lights, rear defrost, heater to high, stereo as loud as can be, and the engine bogs down, but recovers.

Would the load put upon the motor from the alternator cause the motor to die if it didn't know to up the fuel?

Edit: Also, if this is the case, would putting switches downstream of the trigger to remove the electrical load, but maintain the "phantom" trigger, cause a enrichment of my af ratio?
    Last edited by almighty4wd; 08-05-2007, 02:51 PM. Reason: another hypothetical question
    No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

many wires that go to the stock ECU for apparently no reason are generally there to tell the ECU to kick up the idle valve a little, as a "dashpot" effect. (I don't think it actually affects the amount of fuel going in). This cushions the blow of a sudden increase in load on the engine, so it'll dip a little, but it'll settle back down after a second or so.

However, as far as providing an enrichment, no. All of these systems deal exclusively with the idle air valve as far as I can tell, which has almost no effect on the engine outside of, you guessed it, idling.
    Ask me about engine management!

Comment

Working...
    X