August 2007 ROTM - ftjandra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

August 2007 ROTM - ftjandra

Well here it is everyone. August ROTM winner is Ferdi with my jaw dropping build he has. Lets all congratulate him on his sick ride.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

more pictures can be found here.

Engine Modifications:

Wiseco 9:1 +1mm pistons
    Carillo H-Beam rods
    2000 Miata head
    Teflon crank scraper
    Fidanza adjustable cam gears
    RC Engineering 550cc low-impedance injectors
    Walbro fuel pump
    Vishnu dual-feed fuel rail
    Aeromotive AFPR

Turbo Goodies:

GTR intake manifold modified to fit 2000 Miata head and painted with "Turbo Protege" logo
    GTR exhaust manifold with four EGT bungs and ceramic coated
    J-23 with ceramic coated exhaust housing and bypassing internal wastegate
    DIY divorced downpipe with external wastegate
    DIY 3" stainless exhaust
    Tial V44 (because it uses v-band clamps!)
    PWR water/air intercooler

Engine Management/Electronics:

Haltech E6X running sequential injection and waste-spark ignition
    Customized Miata CAS
    Defi gauges
    Innovate Motorsports LM-1 wideband O2, LM-3 Auxbox, and TC-4
    COP setup using GM cops and CDI unit
    Knocksense

Drivetrain Modifications:
    C's short shifter
    Nyloil bushings
    ACT Z62-HDSS clutch (I know, too weak...)
    Corksport braided stainless clutch line

Suspension Modifications:

Eibach springs
    Mazdaracer's lower tie bars
    Energy Suspension bushings everywhere including custom install on rear lateral links

Front:

GAB 4-way adjustable struts
    ZX2 1" stabilizer bar on custom mounts
    GTX strut tower bar

Rear:

GAB 8-way adjustable struts
    Quickor 1" stablilizer bar on custom mounts
    Mazdaspeed strut tower bar

Brakes:

Powerslot rotors
    Hawk HPS pads
    Techna-Fit braided stainless brake lines

Radio/Sound:

Custom speaker/grill install
    Front: Adire Audio Koda component set 6.5"+tweeter
    Rear: Adire Audio Extremis 6.5"
    Alpine CDA-9827 head unit in custom housing
    Phoenix Gold Xenon 200.4 amplifier

Exterior Modifications:
    EDM headlights
    Grill with Familia emblem
    Catz auxilliary driving lamps

Wheels/Tires:

Enkei RP-F1 15x7 41mm offset (9.8lbs each!)
    Toyo T1-R 205/50

Future:
    Stronger clutch
    LSD (MSP or Quaife)

As for about myself/car:
    I am 25 years old and graduated from GeorgiaTech with degrees in Computer Science and Electrical Engineering eight months ago. Even though I started collecting parts a few years ago, the entire build was done within the last eight months. I could never find enough time to work on it while in school, plus I couldn't be without a car for very long. I can't exactly remember how I stumbled onto ClubProtege almost three years ago, but once I did, the itch to mod the car began. Long story short, I got into the group-buy for a GTX engine with 'Braden', but it fell through. I then had 'Dave' find me a GTR turbo/manifold/ecu, and that's pretty much where it all began to get out of hand. I got a GTR intake manifold from Malaysia and sold the GTR ecu for a Haltech E6X. I bought a head from an '00 Miata and modified the GTR intake manifold to fit. Then came the diy downpipe/exhaust and custom brackets to keep the a/c and power steering. Add on to that a coil-on-plug setup with a custom mounting plate. Somewhere in between all that I installed a new head unit along with some nice speakers that required custom mounting plates and grilles. Not to forget, the custom made TTL bushings because there were no other alternatives at that time. Then, a custom radiator for the pwr water/air intercooler. The list goes on...

So, what was supposed to be a simple GTX swap turned into this. I should have known in hindsight that nothing I do is ever simple. But, modding this car has thought me a lot and I gained a lot of gadgets in the process, like a welder, metal band saw, oscope, etc. I am very hands on and did everything pretty much by myself. Other than machining the block, the one thing that I couldn't do was weld aluminum and I am still pissed about having to go to a shop for that. As far as the car goes, it's been in the family since it was bought new in '94. I started driving it about 9 years ago and it's also the car that I learned to drive stick shift on.

--Ferdi
    Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

What exactly is that radiator?? I tried and failed to find a good competition rad for this car...
    '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
    '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

congratulations
      Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
      Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

Comment

I wish I had the knowledge, ability, and time to build something like that! Congratulations!
        '95 MX3 Limited Edition. Black in and out 5 speed. Rolling on chrome ZX2 wheels, S/R struts. Eibach springs.

'93 Probe GT JDM KLZE engine latest buy

'94 Probe GT Stock 5 speed.

'93 Tracer LTS Automatic, only 78K miles Sold

'94 EGT Electric current red 5 speed. GONE!
        Race car sold

http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=116

Comment

Congratulations Ferdi!

There is SO much going on under that hood, lol. Nice build though.

What kind of numbers are you expecting?

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Originally posted by jay View Post
            What exactly is that radiator?? I tried and failed to find a good competition rad for this car...
            It was a custom piece made by a local shop.

Originally posted by Jho View Post
            What kind of numbers are you expecting?
            My plan was to tune it for 25psi, but my tuner advised against that on pump gas. Maybe I'll just stop once I reach 300whp. But, Jay seems to have no problems running fine at 22-24psi, so we'll see. Jay, you are using the stock GTR IC on your daily driver, right? Does the Link have a knock sensor? What intake temps are you seeing?

--Ferdi
            If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
            -----
            Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
            Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
            Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

Congrats man, well deserved
              Jason
              Yes Its 4wd woot woot
              sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

No, the street car is running a custom Spearco frontmount, the Link does use a knock sensor, and I usually see intake temps about 5-10 deg above ambient. I bet it spikes higher than that under full boost but the sensor ain't fast enough to show it. I'm thinking about building a cold air box and seeing if that'll improve things at all.
                '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
                '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
                http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

Congrats on the win. It was well deserved.
                  1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                  1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                  2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                  2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                  .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

I LOVE this car... way to represent that nine four (my fav year)... God two degrees?!?!?! I barely made it with one engineering degree... you bad ass you.
                    1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
                    1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
                    2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
                    2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

Comment

Don't even tell me that you hung a tennis ball on a string in your garage as a reference for where you should park.

Comment

Originally posted by Jho View Post
                        Don't even tell me that you hung a tennis ball on a string in your garage as a reference for where you should park.
                        LOL...My parking spot is actually outside like the other pics show. I've got another tuning appointment this Thursday, hopefully everything will go smoothly this time. Again, thanks for the compliments guys.

--Ferdi
                        If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
                        -----
                        Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
                        Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
                        Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

Just saw this car on importatlanta... Man you need to come hang out with us.

MX-3 Owners Club of Atlanta...

Nice valvecover! I have the same one!!

Comment

whats wrong with the tennis ball method? its quick, and mostly accurate.

the only thing better is what my girlfriend's dad did... took some old angle iron and made a T shape... pointed the angle where the corner was pointing up and used it like a parking curb in their garage. BIG @$$ SUBURBAN + little @$$ garage = good idea

but thats way different than using this method on one of our sardine cans...lol
                            Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
                            Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

Comment

congrats, very nice work done to the car
                              91 protege gt. dropzone mx3 springs, mx3 crossmember, ractive front and rear strut braces, rear lower mx3 brace, 4 wheel disc brakes, corksport ss brake and clutch lines,kvr front pads, ractive cai,ram air hood scoop, modified front bumper, shaved ant and rear trunk lock, fubu ant, short shifter, corksport bronzeoil shifter bushings,92 glass sunroof and tail lights, mx3 center console, autometer gauges (volt and oil pressure) cluster needles painted to match, sound system, 17 inch eagle alloy 193 with 205 40 17 rubber. klze is ALIVE BABY!! . http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2394656http://www.toprotege.com/forums/show...hlight=project[url]

Comment

Working...
                              X