unsual engine smoke/smell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unsual engine smoke/smell

i came home last night and likei smelled something unsual. I popped the hood, and like i saw a little smoke coming from the right of the valve cover (where the belt is). it smelled like burned plastic... well does anybody know what the problem might be? im going to the shop monday to check it out but i want to go with someknowledge so those a-holes won't rip me off with something i don't need. i have almost 90k on the car. transmission (Auto) is sharp and not smooth. is this a sign of the demise of my car?!??!

no it just sounds like a seal is going bad.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

burning plastic? i'd assume that because plastic is oil based, what you were smelling was oil, not plastic. the only plastic pieces that come in direct contact with the engine would be the distributor cap and maybe the timing cover. if everything is running fine, like said, you probably blew a seal. most likely they'll look at the engine, if they see oil dripping out, they'll probably narrow the source, drain the oil, and strip the motor down and replace whatever seal has gone bad. from what you're describing, it's probably just some minor leak, but could be costly to repair. so going in, have 'em narrow down the cause, get a price.. and hopefully, if you haven't been charged already, it might make sense to call around to a couple shops and find a better price if possible.. this is what i have done in the past and eventually, you find a nice shop that will do honest work, for a reasonable price. only other suggestion is to buy a manual and a couple hundred in tools and work on your car yourself.
      peace

Comment

unless your burning up that cam cover gasket, i know mine was cut and part of it was dangling in the timing belt. i took my cover off, it's not really that necesarry to have.
        James G.
        sobe83@yahoo.com
        AIM: DVS 323BPT
        MySpace
        Cardomain
        <BR>

<marquee>Turbonetics T3/T4, RC 550cc injectors, Walbro fuel pump, SSAutochrome Miata manifold, Tial 35mm wastegate, large FMIC, Apex-I SAFC, GReddy Type S BOV, 2.5" aluminum charge pipes, NGK plugs/wires, RX-7 VAM, 3" turbo-back exhaust, ARP head studs, H&R Springs, S/R struts, Sony XPlod deck-2/12" subs, Power Acoustic 800w amp, Pioneer speakers, Evo front bumper, ADR DV8 17" wheels.</marquee>

Comment

AS Demon stated look for an oil leak. the Valve cover seal you should be able to replace yourself. it isn't that hard. 8 bolts and it is off.
          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
          So his engine he goosed
          With much too much boost,
          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Remove the timing belt cover, it could be that the timing belt have advance on the pulley an is rubbing against the plastic cover. Saw that before, when the belt take's some slack because of age it sometime advance on the pulley enought to rub. Take five minute to verify and it's worth a look.
            http://www.cardomain.com/id/protila
            Transmission mechanic

Comment

Working...
            X