dropped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dropped

Im lookin to get some lowering springs for my 2.5 gen LX and im lookin for some info. I can get the springs off cardomain for around 200 +/- to get the desired 1.5 to 1.7" drop front and rear. Where can i get some decent springs/struts elsewhere that might be even better priced and good quality. Im goin into another year of college and don't want to blow all my money at the begining.

Another thing, is lowering the car going to effect the camber of my wheels? I don't want to get uneven tread wear on my tires or any other ill effects. Im gettin the springs/struts just to lower the car have a more stable ride. Is there anything else i should be aware of when doing this whole set up?
    sigpic

pigeon is selling his eibach, i think its a very good buy.

just get an alignment after loweing your car to prevent uneven tread wear.

1996 1.5L Mazda Protege DX MTX
    Mods:
    DX converted to an LX (F & R seats and All Power), 2" Exhaust from the Catback, EuroReverse Glow Gauges, JDM Clear Side Markers, 17" MB Motoring Rims, K&N air filter 33-2134, All Clear Lenses, Front Strut Bar, MS Sideskirts, JDM Taillights, JDM Turbo Diesel Hood Scoop, OEM Door Visors, and Ducktail.
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/beetle_orange

Comment

2" drop, sprint springs, stock struts, 100 something of Ebay shipped from canada. Very satisfied. I did not get a camber kit, leave those for Hondas, have over 10,000 on my rims and tires with no uneven wear. The alignment suggestion is a good idea, I didn't do it but the previous owner had done so right before I bought the car from her! rent a spring compressor from the auto store and you'll be good to go!!!
      sigpic

Comment

Awesome, any suggestions on well corroded strut tower nuts? tricks to gettin em off easily?
        sigpic

Comment

Penetrating lube and a long handled wrench

Comment

I was talking to someone the other day and they were saying that the struts need to match the springs so that the spring constants are the same. When the struts and springs are not matched, you get a really bouncy ride. Im was hoping to just have a stiffer ride, but not bouncy. How can i know what springs to get so that they are well matched to the struts?
            sigpic

Comment

Doesn't matter.

Comment

The sprint springs I purchased are firm and not bouncy, as for your other question, stock struts, I know nothing further except, I never bottom out and no scraping. Been installed for at least 20k with no sagging.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm still just looking around at different options that are out there. I went to cardomain.com and came across some ground control coil over suspension kits. I used to be under the impression that these had their own struts but was mistaken. I see now that its just an adjustable spring. If i get these, I could lower the car in the summer when im driving on nice roads, and raise it up when im driving in VT winters w/ frost heaves. CarDomain says they work with stock struts and install easily. Does anyone have experience with this kind of product? How easy is it to adjust once on the car? Is it really worth the extra couple hundred bucks? How well do these age on the car. Will it still be easy to adjust in a couple of years? or will the road grime and salt get to it and ruin the adjustability?
                  Last edited by Squeekster1; 09-04-2007, 01:37 PM.
                  sigpic

Comment

I give sleeves a thumbs down, and so does my co-worker who is wiser than I when it comes to modding.

I'd recommend sticking to either replacement springs, or coilovers.

Also, Ground Control doesn't officially fit our GR-2s according to the website, they only mention GAB, Sachs/Boge, and "stock" (which is made by Tokico I believe). But I don't know if I'd trust a company that doesn't realise there is only one readily available strut for the application and they don't list it. That's some iffy R&D.

Comment

Working...
                    X