more problems with sohc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

more problems with sohc

i'm driving w/ GF when my lights dim a little bit, then the interior insturment lights start to flicker and I see the red charge light flash.

I immediately turned of the heater, radio and lights and drove to a parking lot.

the red charge light wasn't flashing anymore, so i turned on the lights.

after turning off the car, the car won't start.

i'm pretty sure the battery doesn't have enough juice.

does the red charge light mean alternator?
    Current Cars
    94 DX, 97 Corolla
    Past Cars 92 LX(CDN), 89 CIVIC DX, 93 Teg, 93 MX-3

It could be the alternator, but it could also be loose belts, bad battery, bad wires/connections.

Crappy Tire or Part Source will check the battery for you, I think the alt. has to be out for them to check it though.

Comment

Yes, and none of the problems you mentioned have anything to do with your having a SOHC engine. Things like this have happened in many different types of cars I or family members of mine have owned. Not only that, neither of my two SOHC Proteges ever had a major problem while owned by me.

Comment

manny
        i wasn't implying that sohc has these problems only, just to identify what car it is. and at 285,000 km I expect these problems b/c most parts are at the end of their lifespan especially if they havn't been replaced and are original.
        Current Cars
        94 DX, 97 Corolla

Comment

I see. The title confused me a bit.

Comment

well here is something i have encountered. if i replace my battery, a few weeks later i will have to replace the Alt. if you can afford it replace both at once.
            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
            So his engine he goosed
            With much too much boost,
            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Originally posted by Protoss
              well here is something i have encountered. if i replace my battery, a few weeks later i will have to replace the Alt. if you can afford it replace both at once.
              I disagree.

I have gone through several batteries on my Pro... But I've never had an alternator problem. Only change what you need to; you might be wasting money.
              ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

i've been through 3 alt, so it all depends on what you have in your car, and what the environment is like.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Originally posted by TheLastMarauder
                  I disagree.

I have gone through several batteries on my Pro... But I've never had an alternator problem. Only change what you need to; you might be wasting money.
                  Like i said "Here is what i have encountered" it was _NOT_ "if your battery goes you will have to replace your alt" Besides if it is the stock alternator odds are it is going to go. when, is the question.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

I have read driving around with a bad battery can hurt the alternator. Having a bad alternator will permanently damage a battery's ability to recharge.

Just seems like it would be a good idea to replace both, if possible, when the alternator has problems.
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Optima power!
                      My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
                      - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

okay, more investigation. last night same thing happened, except I think its the alternator belt. I will hopefully have time today to chagne the belt after work.
                        Current Cars
                        94 DX, 97 Corolla

Comment

so i changed the alternator belt and also d/c my power steering. should i be worried that i'm putting too much on the steering system w/o power steering?
                          Current Cars
                          94 DX, 97 Corolla

Comment

Originally posted by mike_moss
                            Optima power!
                            you couldn't be MORE than right.. if you keep blowing batteries.. figure out what the **** is going on before you spend another 35 to 60 bucks or whatever you guys are paying. and even if you don't replace batteries, stay rest assured that when you're battery is drained fully.. it's NOT dead.. all it needs is a full charge and it's as good as new. my optima redtop battery is HEAVIER, grant you, but it's smaller in size. and to boot, you get an solid cell battery with nothing to spill, should last reliably for 10 years or more, AND most likely WILL survive in a heavy crash. (some information may be incorrect, and i admit that, except the fact that these batteries will last a LONG time)

Originally posted by ali vegas
                            so i changed the alternator belt and also d/c my power steering. should i be worried that i'm putting too much on the steering system w/o power steering?
                            i have NO idea of the mechanical implications of using rack and pinion steering components without power assist, except to suggest eventually something will fail for that reason. the more obvious thing in my mind is the SAFTEY of driving without powersteering on our cars.. based on the idea that if you coast in neutral with the car off, a protege is HIGHLY uncontrollable. i wouldn't **** with it, hook it back up.. and if there is some need for it not working, get it fixed.
                            peace

Comment

look dave already posted what i wanted to say. the gearing differece between the p/s and unassedted is huge. if you really are concerned about power steering swap your rack&pin for the one in a 323 which is unassisted. i believe Gro Harlem might still have one for sale.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Working...
                              X