Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM CD Players - Question

I just had a quick question?

What OEM CD Players will fit a 1st Gen Pro????

The main reason that I am interested is I would like to buy a CD receiver, but everytime I do, the bitch gets stolen. I figured that having an OEM style CD player wouldn't be as flashy, and actually goes with my "keep my car as stock as possible" theme. I imagine an earlier Ford, Mazda, or Mercury would be the best choice. It would be a better and more convenient alternative than using all these Cot Damn wires and adaptors to use my current CD player. If anyone has any input, it will be appreciated. Peace, and Pimp On...

"MeeNerS"
    Last edited by XxToKeSxX; 12-07-2003, 11:03 AM.
    1998 Subaru Forester S/Turbo | Shaggin' Wagon
    1990 Mazda Miata MX5 | WTF I can drag asphalt with my hand
    2003 MuZ Baghira 660 SM | Single Slammer
    2008 KTM 250sx 2T Supermoto | Kart Track Killer

Shift_Buy Broken & Build...

The 1st Gen's factory stereo is black, and double din... I suggest finding a black, double din cd receiver. Consider having a cd changer mounted somewhere, too.
    ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

ever thought about securing an aftermarket one? my friend had his stolen out of his jetta a few months ago, so we had to look into a way to secure his new one. the metal piece in the back of the opening was too hard to get back there to bolt it through there, so we took some metal cable, put some ring ends on it, and used to screw holes on the sides of the HU to secure the metal cable. the cable was run behind the metal support, and screwed into the other more accessible side. the HU will pull out about 2 inches, then it's stuck from the cable. no stealing it now, unless you take out the glove box

Comment

Well the main reason i didnt want to get one of those... is because its eye appealing... I just dont want people to break into my car anymore... I cant afford the damage... Nah Mean??? I just really want something that will play my CD's but still OEM... stay underground... you feel me. It just want to know if its possible

Stay Low and Keep Firing Applies here.. he he

LastMarauder was Liiiiiike:
        The 1st Gen's factory stereo is black, and double din... I suggest finding a black, double din cd receiver. Consider having a cd changer mounted somewhere, too.
        I dont think I even want to mess with a cd changer... Simple here.. just a replacement for my tape deck... no aftermarket... Thanks for your help... anymore pointers?

Comment

find someone with a 3rd gen that's selling their stock deck. i've seen a few for sale, and you can always post a want to buy thread you'll have to get the reverse plug for it, and the regular plug for your car. my only concern is if the stock deck for your car is a full double din. the part #'s for the dash kit for the first gen is different than the 3rd gen's with double din's. so the '01 and up double din opening probably won't work i thought the 1st gens had a 1.5 din opening. if that is the case, then and single din CD player will work, regardless of the car, as long as you have the dash kit, which i'm assuming you do, since you've had aftermarket decks stolen. the '99 and '00 had single DIN CD players, and many other cars do also

Comment

Cool... well I dont have any dash kits... mainly because the car I had before's aftermarket CD players didn't need a dash kit. It was all done up, and people hated me ... But my insurance covered everything because I was under my fathers name (I still paid premium) and that **** started to go up so I had to get my own...

And you KNOW my poor ass aint payin for no full coverage... soooo as a result.. I now have to be careful.. but yes back to the point bia bias...

So your saying that a third gen will fit with a dash kit... Cool... Hopefully I can find a car with a direct fit... What about second gen's??? or perhaps another mazda... hmmmm

And Im assuming that DIN stands for ____ in Dash???

HoLLa BacK

Comment

i need someone with a 1st gen to get on here and say for sure if you have a 1.5 DIN or double DIN. if it's a double DIN, you can get a CD player out of a '01 and up protege. if it's a 1.5 DIN, you can get a '99-'00 and a dash kit to mount it
              as far as what DIN stands for, i have no friggin clue i've never bothered to find out

Comment

Originally posted by blue LEDz
                i need someone with a 1st gen to get on here and say for sure if you have a 1.5 DIN or double DIN. if it's a double DIN, you can get a CD player out of a '01 and up protege. if it's a 1.5 DIN, you can get a '99-'00 and a dash kit to mount it
                as far as what DIN stands for, i have no friggin clue i've never bothered to find out
                I have no idea what DIN stands for either but maybe this will help you figure it out. When I was looking for a cd player a while back I wanted to get a cd/tape deck combo. The guy at Best Buy told me that it would not fit. So I guess that the 1st gen has a 1.5 DIN????
                -------------------------
                '91 LX
                '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
                -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
                well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

As far as I know (from work) DIN is a German Standards group. They specify all kinds of standard dimensions on enclosures, attachment points, and connectors (pin outs and spacings). At work we use a standard "DIN rail" spacing for our products to ensure that mounting them in certain hazardous location enclosures will be compatible.

Ah... here is the web site http://www2.din.de/index.php?lang=en for the DIN Deutsches Institut für Normung eV (which translates to something like "German Institute for Standardization).
                  --JJB--
                  '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
                  Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
                  16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
                  15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
                  Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

I have a stock 99 cd player from my car, and I'll be replacing my deck within the next month if you can wait that long
                    Visit My Garage

Comment

I put my stock CD player from 2nd gen pro 98 into mazda 626 1990 , It was 1.5 din and worked pretty good with the dash kit. Also all the wiring was different so make sure you'll have CD player with harness and after that spend some time to match wires. 97/98 OEM CD players will work then.
                      98 protege LX for appearance
                      89 626 GT for performance

Comment

hmmm....ok... so first gens have a 1.5 din... I found
                        a 98 - 01 on ebay... im waiting... but ICEMAN... how much would you sell yours for??? Im willing to wait.. i'm in no hurry... I also found some from a 98 626... sigh... I wish I knew!!!! Dammit
                        Last edited by XxToKeSxX; 12-08-2003, 05:51 PM.

Comment

Hrrm I never really thought about how much to sell it for, I'll have to think about that, I'm not really sure what it's worth.
                          Visit My Garage

Comment

Originally posted by Iceman112k3
                            Hrrm I never really thought about how much to sell it for, I'll have to think about that, I'm not really sure what it's worth.

not much

JJB, works for me

and we can say for sure that the first gen's have a 1.5 DIN opening, so you will need a dash kit

Comment

Man... pulling out the First Gen Stereo is ridiculously easy... So if I find a 1.5 din from a Mazda... it should slide right in...right? And I would just have to match the wires... Correct?

What up

Comment

Working...
                              X