Follow OCD 1.8L Turbo Progress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow OCD 1.8L Turbo Progress

I am going to start posting my progess here along with pictures and details of what was done. Im just doing this so everyone will get an idea of what is involved.. Ill post pics and details after i finish each little project. Check Back Tuesday or Wednesday for coverage of taking out the engine and other things.. Hope yall enjoy : )
    Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 12-08-2003, 02:30 PM.
    sigpic

good luck. you have the 1.8 right...
    what are you going to do to it?, that you have to take the engine out.
    photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

It was a 1.5L so Im putting the 1.8L in just because its a great powerplant to work with.
      sigpic

Comment

you better believe it is a great powerplant. You won't believe the power difference. Once your clutch breaks in ... you will find it hard to not go past 3 grand, and when you reach about 5 grand **** gets sweet ....
        lol

umm what are you doing about the wire harness?
        Are you getting one from A-spec?
        You will more than likely need to change the passenger engine mount ... it may be broken.
        I can show you pics. I still need to replace mine.
        -- will be using the msp part from corksport.

Fill the other mounts with black polyurethane also. It makes a good difference.
        Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Yea, I got some energy suspension inserts but they didnt fit well enough without alot of modification. I checked my engine mounts and the back middle mount rubber was completely broken. So yea i was planning on getting the mazdaspeed mounts on corksport. They should help out wheel hop which will probably be a big issue. About the wire harness i was thinking about moding one myself or maybe getting your help. But if i can buy one straight up from a-spec, that doenst need moding, ill do that. What do you know about the a-spec one?

...I looked on the a-spec.ca site and I couldnt find anything. What do yall know?
          Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 12-08-2003, 05:51 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I know nothing about a-spec, except they are located somewhere in canada and can do the swap of a v6 into a 323 ...

I would call them though , find there number and call them .. If they can track a harness down for you then you will be good to go ...

It is not hard to mod the 1.5 harness, but you need a partial harness for a 1.8L...

plus you need the MAF for the 1.8L ...
            they are similar to the miata 1.6L I think or 1.8L .. (later model)
            Bruce

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

I am going to buy a 1.5 MT harness and a 1.8 AT harness and that should give me the Base to work on and then the 1.8L parts i will need.
              sigpic

Comment

Call A-spec first. If they can get you a 1.8 harness, they that would save you about 100 dollars...

Get the harness from the same year as your car.
                if you have a 95-96, get a 95-96 harness.
                if you have a 97-98, get a 97-98 harness.
                as a matter of fact, what year is your motor

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Holy ****, Aspec actually updated their website. Somewhat.
                  If you do decide to call them the number is 416-246-9949
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Engine is a 96. Chassis is 98
                    sigpic

Comment

then get a harness for a 96 ES ...
                      or canadian 96 1.8L protege.

The Canadian 97 protege 1.8 harness is different from ours.

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Hmmm, A-spec might even still have Ed B's old car. They can pull the harness off of that one. It was a 96.
                        Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                        BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                        Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Alright, I finally got my timing belt in today. My BP has been sitting on my garage floor for weeks waiting for the belt. so I put it on along with the alternator etc. and torqued down all the pulleys to the right specs. I also replaced the old, half dry rotted vaccum hoses with some shiney new silicone tubes that fit my color scheme. I played around with the stock valve cover for awhile but I finally decided i didnt like it much. So i got a 1st gen BP valve cover from my friend. It bolts right on and fits perfect, only it lets your timing belt and cam gears show some. It will be ok as long as i keep everything away from them and dont go down many dirt road. It'll come in handy though when I get my adjustable cam gears. Next i was looking at the stock engine mounts. Take the front torque mount for example, it looks like its solid rubber, but i cut a slit in the rubber and found out its hollow. (bruce, is that what you were talking about? or where you talking about the obvious holes going through?) So i filled it in with a strong silicone and did the same to the back. It should make them a good bit stiffer but ill find out for sure later. Hopefully i can get my pics tomorrow. Who knows...check back
                          Last edited by OCD-SPEED; 12-12-2003, 04:46 AM.
                          sigpic

Comment

This is me in my garage taking out the old wire harness I believe. But you can see a good shot of the old 1.5L and the new 1.8L.
                            Attached Files
                            sigpic

Comment

This will be my oil cooler.
                              Attached Files
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X