ball joint and axle help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ball joint and axle help!

My '97 DX 5 speed needed ball joints. I put if off a little while and then the inner CV joint on the driver's side broke. It didn't seperate while I was driving so I was able to drive it the short distance home. (less than 1 mile) I got all the parts and got to work. I broke 1 ratchet and 1 breaker bar on the spindle nut so I just said screw it and started on the ball joints. I apparently am not in the best frame of mind lately to work on my car. So, I loosened the pinch bolt on the driver's side ball joint and went to work with a pickle fork and hammer. I couldn't get it separated. I broke another ratchet on one of the mounting bolts for the ball joint but eventually got them both undone. But here is the problem. I still can't get the ball joint separated from the spindle. The fork goes on all the way and still it does not budge. I tried using 2 forks and when I actually got one to go in without knocking the other out I ended up just bending one of the forks. so now I am stuck with my ball joint un bolted but still attatched to the spindle. I can't for the life of me get it separated, or put back together. I'm tempted to just take off the caliper, un bolt the strut and disconnect the tie rod and take the spindle/ball joint and axle shaft to the house of a friend with a compressor and an impact wrench to get the spindle nut off, but I still need to get the ball joint out. Any help at all would be really appreciated. :microwave
    Please sponsor me for the American diabetes association Tour de Cure.
    http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?pg=...383&px=3361088
    together, we can find a cure for Diabetes!!!!
Working...
X