MS'N'S and knock sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS'N'S and knock sensor

I have a megasquirt 'n' spark, ms1 v2.2. I have a couple questions, first do I need a knock sensor and if I do, will one from a 2.2L work?

Second, I was told that I can use the ms'n's as a standalone, without the stock computer and without a maf/vaf, is this true or should I upgrade?

I am also using 750cc injectors and am just wondering if I should get a daugterboard or should I just sell this unit and get a ms1v3 or ms2?

Thanks

Jeff

Shop 506-577-6708
    cell 506-381-3503
    email danny@jdracing.ca

Are your injectors low impedance? One of the problems with MSnS-E is that you cannot run the high resolution injector timing code and the low impedance injector driver code at the same time because of a limitation with the hardware. With 750cc injectors, which are stupidly big, you will NEEEEEEED high resolution injector timing code.

So basically (again, assuming the injectors you have are low impedance) you will either have to get a resistor pack from a DSM or something to bring the resistance of the injectors up, or go to an MS2 (preferrably the MS2/Extra code which I have been testing recently, which allows you quite a bit more control over injection particularly during cranking, which you will very much need)

A word of warning: with 750cc injectors, it will be very, very, very, very, very, very hard to tune your car for cranking, idle and cruise no matter what code or hardware you are running.
    Ask me about engine management!

Comment

What matt said is correct and running injectors that big it is a good idea to even lower fuel pressure for low vacuum readings. Also, injectors that big should only be run if you really need them.

As for the knock sensor, if you want to run it with MS, there is one that is setup for the megasquirt and it's called knocksense IIRC.

And lastly, yes, once I had MS in there, I pulled the stock computer out completely.
      Last edited by Lex; 09-04-2007, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Would getting a MS2 daughter board benifit me at all with my setup? Will any resistor box work, such as Honda, DSM, etc? Will I need the resistor box if I got the daughter board? Where do I purchase the knocksense kit that Lex is talking about?

I am not worried about the larger injectors. I have them so I am going to make it work. It is not my daily driver so if it is a little rough, I can live with that. I used to own a Mustang with a 351W that was built and had a Pro-stock intake and a Holley 650 double pumper 4 barrel carb, so I don't mind it being rough. As long as it is quick going down the 1/4 mile.

Thanks for the previous responses,

Jeff

Shop 506-577-6708
        cell 506-381-3503
        email danny@jdracing.ca

Comment

You can read about and order the Knocksense here.

If you are interested, I have a 1-week old KnocksenseMS with used knocksensor that I'll sell for $85US shipped in the continental US. Originally cost me $98. I did drill out the knocksensor so that you could use any of 10mm bolts on the block. Reason for selling is that it doesn't play nice with my Haltech ecu.

--Ferdi
          If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
          -----
          Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
          Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
          Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

The v2.2 MS board also does not work with the MSII ECU. You'd need a V3.0 board to run MSII

Comment

Originally posted by Lex View Post
              The v2.2 MS board also does not work with the MSII ECU. You'd need a V3.0 board to run MSII

So what is the purpose of the daughterboard? It says to upgrade your ms1 ecu. here

I thought that the daughterboard was the way to upgrade it to ms2 because it says it is upgradable to ms2 here. If this isn't how to upgrade, how do I upgrade my unit and will it help me with controlling my injectors better and/or give me better tuning capabilities?

Ferdi- I am interested in the sensor, do you have aim or msn messenger so we can talk? If you do, add me or you can just pm me and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Jeff

Shop 506-577-6708
              cell 506-381-3503
              email danny@jdracing.ca

Comment

Originally posted by mx3optidrive View Post
                So what is the purpose of the daughterboard? It says to upgrade your ms1 ecu. here

I thought that the daughterboard was the way to upgrade it to ms2 because it says it is upgradable to ms2 here. If this isn't how to upgrade, how do I upgrade my unit and will it help me with controlling my injectors better and/or give me better tuning capabilities?

Ferdi- I am interested in the sensor, do you have aim or msn messenger so we can talk? If you do, add me or you can just pm me and I will get back to you as soon as I can.

Jeff
                I stand corrected, it seems you can upgrade the v2.2 board to MSII.

Comment

Working...
                X