Couple of questions about PRO 90 DOHC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of questions about PRO 90 DOHC

I'm new to this forum...i'm owner of 1990 1.8 DOHC Pro. I have already installed cold air intake and a front strut bar. I am going to replace the valve cover gasket and spark plugs. Does anyone know whats the right way to screw in valve cover...i mean inch/pound on a torque wrench? I don't wanna overscrew it and get oil leak. The second question is I'm going to use NGK spark plug because i don't trust those BOSCH ones...so whats the right way to gap those???
    Thanks a lot

i reccomend- NGK ifr6t11 plugs great for NA/ or BOOSTED applications & smooth the powerband incredibly. I reccomend leaving those plugs @ the stock gap

snug the valve cover gasket bolts gently, preoil the gasket surface before installing it.
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Welcome to Club Protege, Arslan.

Be sure to prep your sealing surfaces before replacing the gasket. Buy some scotchbrite and a can of brake cleaner. Make sure the the sealing surfaces are perfectly clean and dry before applying the new gasket. Use a light coat RTV sealant on the cam and distributor humps. Replace your distributor o-ring while you're at it. It is always the source of a significant oil leak often confused with a leaking valve cover gasket. I STRONGLY recommend the use of OEM gaskets. All others come up short.

Torque the cover down in a circular pattern, a half of a turn at a time until snug. Start in the middle, and work your way out in a circle. 6-10 ft-lbs is adequate.

BOSCH plugs are junk, use NGK. I recommend V-Power BKR6ES. Factory gap is about .040". Be sure to put anti sieze on the threads of the plugs prior to installation.

Comment

never ever use scotch brite!!!! it will permanently damage your engine
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323 View Post
          never ever use scotch brite!!!! it will permanently damage your engine
          Not true. It is widely and commonly used in my profession with no negative side effects.

Common sense will tell you to be cautious about scattering debris into the engine. Put a rag down to be even safer. Even if you don't agree with using scotchbrite, you have to clean the sealing surface with some other kind of coarse, but non abrasive material. Either way, there will still be debris flying around, wether it be from the scotchbrite or the material being removed from the sealing surface.

Being cautious and smart about what you're doing is key.

Comment

thanks a lot...
            yeah I've heard that OEM gaskets are better, but I have tried to find them but I couldn't..any idea where I can get OEM gasket other than Mazda Dealership

Comment

there are a few online site that sell dealer items for 3/4 of the dealer price.

Comment

Go there and get the low price and then call your dealer and tell them you found it for that price and they should match it. I've done that on a couple of parts . Good luck and welcome to clubprotege.
                1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
                1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
                2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
                2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
                .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

thanks a lot

Comment

Working...
                  X