Installing a new deck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing a new deck

I have a 2003 ES, with the double size head unit.

After much cursing I got the thing out. It's surprisingly easy once you actualy see what the clips look like.

Anyways, my problem is I have nothing to mount my new deck to. There's just a big gaping hole.

So my question is, how did the rest of you install your stereos?
    My deck comes with a kind of metal housing that should get installed first and then the deck can slide right into that.

But If I have nothing to mount the housing to...

Any help will be appreciated.

I don't have a 3rd gen, but I know that Crutchfield and other companies like them sell kits for this. Is your head unit a single DIN or double DIN?

Comment

For the "OEM" look, check out Mazdastuff.com, they have the standard box that goes underneath a single DIN radio in a Protege. Don't forget to also purchase the metal bar that fits underneath the box! The bar is a must have item to secure the box and more importantly the new headunit chassis.
      But be prepared for sticker shock- the pair will run about 100.00 US! That is why the aftermarket kits are so popular, they will cost only 10-20% of the OEM hardware.
      If you got for the bar and the box, install the bar first, it bolts right into the dash, install the radio, then install the box- you can use the room underneath the radio for maneuvering the wiring as you slide the new headunit in.
      Good Luck and let us all know what you decide on doing!
      David A. Cameron
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
      stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
      2004 Cooperworks Mini
      2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
      Sine Pari

Comment

Yeah after looking at I did some measuring and I'm gonna make the bar. Then everything can hold onto that. I bought everything else aftermarket. Not spending 100 bux cuz it says "Mazda" on it.

I think once I do it I'm gonna take some pictures of the whole procedure and put it on a website.

Thanks for your advice.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoidberg
          Not spending 100 bux cuz it says "Mazda" on it.
          I hear ya' man. But still, don't this look sooo nice:

Far better than any aftermarket box. And functional, too.

I got mine for $40 off eBay, and it's from a '99 or '98 Protege. Might want to poke around a few junkyards and see if you can dig one up.

Not really worth the $75-$100 new, but worth an hour or two of junkyard doggin!

~HH

Comment

The kit i got is just like a pod that the unit slips into, and the pod fits the "gaping hole" that you were referring to..

buuuuuuuuut... it doesn't look nearly as nice as what hihoslva has.

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
            RB springs
            Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
            MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

I still need to get the little bar that goes between the HU and the pocket (I need to track down the PN so I can order it or maybe I'll just make my own). But for the time being I have some foam in there above the pocket and it seems to work out OK.

I really do like the closing lid on the pocket as well. To me the easy install of the pocket and the fact that it looks good was worth the money to order it.

--JJB--
              '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
              Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
              16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
              15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
              Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Working...
              X