Autocross help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autocross help

i have decided to give up on trying to get my 99 1.6 lx to be a "race car" and have decided to take everyones advice and do some suspension work and go the autocrosss route , i already have eibach springs and a front strut bar. for xmas i have about $600 to spend on myself i aws wondering what would help me the most in my goal, i was thinking some msp adjustable struts but dont know after that ... was also gonna add an intake ... any other ideas are appreciated ... thank you

What about tires (and perhaps a spare set of [light] wheels)? With the mods that you'll have you be placed into STS (if you want to avoid any prepared classes). Tires for STS are rather inexpensive.
    -Kevin
    -90 Miata 1- #80 CSP, '01 1.8L Swap w/ working VVT
    -90 Miata 2 - $2005/6/7 Turbocharged GRM Challenger
    -91 Tracer - $2008/9 AWD Converted Turbocharged Challenger
    -94 MX3 - #8 Hong Norrth LeMons/Chumpcar Racer
    -02.5 Protege5 - The Daily

Comment

Tires tires tires!
      My ClubProtege.com Feedback Thread

MOSI Race Dynamics
      - Aftermarket Parts Sales & Services MOSI Race Dynamics Feedback Thread

Comment

At first, just go out and have fun. Right now, your biggest improvements will be the nut behind the wheel. You might gain 2-3 seconds with suspension and tire improvements, but you might pick up 10 just through better driving.

Don't worry about how far back you are, just use that as a baseline for improvement. After you have worn out your current set of tires, you should be ready for improvements.

Another suggestion is to have better drivers ride with you, you ride with them, and then for the real eye-opener, have them drive your car for a lap or two.
        David Avard
        '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
        '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
        '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

Take a look at my website, I autocross my 1.6 regularly and make pretty good times for the most part.

Here's what I have:
          MP3 tower bar
          MSP struts
          Eibach springs
          AWR rear swaybar
          SS brake lines
          cross drilled rotors
          KVR brake pads
          Injen CAI
          Mazdaspeed Axle back exhaust
          and last but not certainly least: Falken Azenis 195/60/14's mounted on my old steelies

Some adjustable struts would be great, and if you can get some quality coilovers that would be even better.

Keep in mind that it's 90% driver, 10% car. Practice makes perfect.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

The number one thing to spend your money on is yourself. Take a class like Evolution . I was lucky that my club has 3 Evolution instructors to help get me through the first year of autox. I am now saving up to take both stages. What I got out of my first year is that I need to send more on me then the car, and I think that any one that have autoX for a while will tell you the same.
            Randy
            Sand Mica
            2002.5 ES A/T
            Texas Spokes Sports Car Club
            HS 26

Comment

Attend a local auto-x, don't worry about times, placing, etc. Begin in novice class, get an instructor and have fun. Mr. Avard is a very good driver so you should consider his advice. I used to race against him in STS, but now im racing the local SK2 class. If you must buy some mods, IMO Tires are your #1 mod & Dampers would be second.

Comment

Working...
              X