My 4wd Turbo Protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 4wd Turbo Protege

Hey as you all may know that I just got a 1990 4wd protege with a GTX motor. It has the stock side mount intercooler and with other jdm front and rear bumpers, GTX seats and H&R springs with KYB GR2 front and GAB 7 way adj in the rear. For now it has the stock US transmission it had a GTAE tans in it at one point but previous owner (Dave) blew it up. I will be installing a GTX trans and my vf10 hybrid with the CS downpipe within the next couple of weeks. The car originally came from Colorado and has very little rust and only has 109k on it. I just installed all my other body parts from my old blk car that now sits fully stripped of her pride onto the 4wd.
    Here's some picts of whats she has been through.
    Attached Files
    1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
    http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

More current picts
    Attached Files
    1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

its nice to know that with care, the usdm tranny can handle 12+psi of boost. Excellent car I'm a fan!
      No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Steve may not have the best paint lol but he knows how to do up a protege. Looking good steve.
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

That thing is Tight! i love it!

Comment

looks good bro.
            and looks better in person!

Comment

Tonight we are going to the local 1/8mi drag strip to do a few passes and see what the US trans can hold up to. If the trans blows then oh well cause it will make me put in the GTX trans sooner than planned. My goal tonight is to beat my old time it the FWD car which was a 9.3 at 78mph.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

with that paint job it looks identical to your previous car haha. i'm sure if you didn't tell your friends you changed cars they wouldn't know until it was to late

looks good tho man, after all the powertrain changes, are you gonna plan on painting the car?

Also you should be able to own 9.3 @78mph. My friend gets 9.4 and he's n/a bp!!

JACK.
                -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
                http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

Originally posted by Mazda_Powered View Post
                  with that paint job it looks identical to your previous car haha. i'm sure if you didn't tell your friends you changed cars they wouldn't know until it was to late

looks good tho man, after all the powertrain changes, are you gonna plan on painting the car?

Also you should be able to own 9.3 @78mph. My friend gets 9.4 and he's n/a bp!!

JACK.
                  Yea the best she got was a 10sec @ 70mph. The clutch was slipping bad but it launched great.
                  I was racing my buddy chris (gtxfamilia) in his 240sx with a rb25det skyline motor on stock boost and bald street tires.

Heres our times

Steve Chris
                  R/T... .949 .... 1.212
                  60'... 2.263 .... 2.185
                  330... 6.553 .... 6.120
                  1/8... 10.094 .... 9.431
                  MPH... 69.00 .... 77.16

(2nd race)

Steve Chris

R/T... .940 ... 1.338
                  60'... 2.299 ... 2.180
                  330... 6.695 ... 6.189
                  1/8...10.251 ... 9.189
                  MPH... 69.60 ... 80.27

Mazda protege 4wd (US) bp05 with stock GTX vj20 turbo (jdm), front mount intercooler, Corksport downpipe & 2.5" exhaust with 12psi. XTD clutch.Mazda was havi...

Mazda protege 4wd (US) bp05 with stock GTX vj20 turbo (jdm), front mount intercooler, Corksport downpipe & 2.5" exhaust with 12psi. XTD clutch.Mazda was havi...
                  Last edited by TurboProto; 09-15-2007, 01:57 PM.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

I was only dropping at 3k rpm only because I wasnt trying to destroy the US trans. And the 2nd carrier bearing on the drive shaft is completely shot and will need to be replaced. Dont worry cause I plan on returning soon to that track soon with the GTX trans and vf10 turbo and maybe a miata diff.

And Ill post the times tomorrow cause the slips are still in the car at my moms house which is 30 mi away.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

More current picts. Including the 4wd trans/vf10 swap tare down picts
                      Attached Files

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

What fan set is that?
                        "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
                        -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
                        *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
                        172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
                        New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

stock gtx intercooler setup nice when you get the front mount on and vf10 bet that thing will scream down the track

Comment

Originally posted by MD323 View Post
                            What fan set is that?
                            Not sure but it was used on a sr20det 240sx. I havent plugged them in to see how they flow, but im sure they work fine.

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Today I continued to prep the car to remove the 4wd trans. I pulled the intake manifold only cause it give you more room and cause im installing my GTR intake instead. Last picture is the GTX trans next to a stock LX trans.
                              Attached Files

Boosted 1990 4WD

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X