Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlights.... Wattage?

Maybe someone can help me understand...

I'm looking at buying a pair of headlights (Sylvania XtraVision) in our 9004 size. The wattage is listed as 65/45 watts. Is this okay? What is the highest wattage our stock wiring can handle safely?
    ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Yeah, those should be fine. I currently have a set of 85/100watt bulbs in my Protege and have no problems.

Adam
    1991 Protege GTR
    #1739 of 2500

Disclaimer: The "Protege GTR" is a custom car. Mazda never made this vehicle.
    1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
    MODS:
    GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
    TO DO LIST:
    EDM/JDM rear bumper
    EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
    Repaint car

Comment

Anyone know what the silverstars are rated at?
      Dan
      dreesemonkey

Comment

I've done some research... apparently 64/45 watt is something of an industry standard for the 9004. If it doesn't say, its probably 65/45 or less... And even if it's not, enough people have had them that I don't think you'll have any problems.

By the way, here's a website I found through TheMAN's faq....

This guy talks about 'blue' bulbs (like Silverstars) and why they don't really improve visibility, but do increase glare. Some are even illegal because with all the yellow light blocked, there isn't enough light left to really illuminate... Silverstars overcome this by intentionally using a filament that will be overdriven, resulting in brighter light but a short lifespan. (like a home lightbulb, only more expensive)

Of course, if you're talking about Osram Silverstars and not Sylvania, what I just said doesn't apply, and they are a lot better.
        ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

The OEM rating for the 9003/H4 bulb in the sedan is 60/55 watts. The Osram Silverstar H4 bulb is also rated at 60/55 watts.
          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by goldstar
            The OEM rating for the 9003/H4 bulb in the sedan is 60/55 watts. The Osram Silverstar H4 bulb is also rated at 60/55 watts.
            Those aren't really applicable to this car, except for maybe the e-spec lights.

9004 standard is 65/45. There is no Osram Silverstar in 9004 that I have found. Sylvania makes them in the correct wattage, though I don't think there's that much benefit.
            2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

oye.. personally, the sylvania sliverstars are some of the better 9004 bulbs available out there. i've bought and returned 3 different pepboy's sets of 9004's, and even had a chance to do some side by side comparissons, my conclusion was to stick with the silverstar's.. but even so, there's no bulb you can throw into MY headlights that make it easier to see in the rain. simple as that. blue tint bulbs.. forget it.. may look better while looking at it, but you can't see worth santa's cock on that one!
              peace

Comment

Working...
              X