new toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new toy

well, i was going to wait till after the new year to order the TermLab SPL meter, but i got more money back from the government than i was expecting, so i ordered the meter today i got the USB single sensor setup with the custom case

total was $663.99, and the guy said that if the money clears today by 3 PM, i'll have the meter tomorrow course i won't be home till thursday most every competition organization is switching over to this meter, as it is the most accurate measurement system. there isn't the bickering of which lane will get higher SPL, and crap like that. there isn't the bump in SPL in the low 60 hz range on the audio control meters. it's a pressure sensor rather than a microphone, so it doesn't need to be recalibrated regularly the downside is that it does not have RTA capabilities, but only spending a little over $650 on what used to cost $1200 for a meter that requires about $100 per year for upkeep, it's well worth it one of the biggest improvements over other mic type meters is that barometric pressure does not effect the term lab meter, but could account for .5 dB or more on an audio control meter. the old mic systems also aren't consistant like the term lab. and when it comes to testing, you want consistancy. another downside to the term lab meter is that it reads a bit lower than all the other meters. linear X meters, the former toughest meters, still read about 1 dB higher than the term lab. i can't wait to start playing with this thing

anyone in the south carolina or florida area, PM me if you want to do some testing of your system i'm working on making my laptop into an RTA and oscilliscope also:p: it'll be a full mobile testing station.

this thread should actually be titled new toys i just ordered 6 more of the TB sounds 8's $227.76 shipped for them:p: i'm planning on building an SPL system with 3 of them. i've decided that if i'm going to risk destroying subs, i don't want to keep damaging my brahma for under $120, i can achieve higher SPL with the 8's than my brahma. and if i blow them, oh well:p:

Comment

Dam that thing is bad ass. Good pickup.
      2k4 Rally White Mazda 3 Hatchback

Sound By CDT , powered by DLS-CA23
      Bass by Elemental Design, powered by HIFONICS

Comment

sweetness
        2003 P5 Midnight Blue
        Buddy Club 2 Side skirts, DGM front lip
        OBX header, MAM SS midpip, HKS exhaust
        Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
        sun ground kit
        5spd sunroof
        Carputer (DivX, MP3, NES, GPS, OBD-2 next)
        7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
        power acoustik 2.4f cap, power acoustik EQ, Power Acoustik A1800db
        6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

next FL meet, i'll definitely have it there

Comment

any news on the brahama??? santa really like you blue
            '02 classic red p5
            currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Originally posted by walight01
              any news on the brahama??? santa really like you blue

santa really likes me, but adire doesn't still no word, and i've called a few times and never gotten a hold of anyone

Comment

wow, i've spent WAY too much money in the past week

here's what the termlab meter looks like in the case:

processing box, and front side of meter:

designed for SPL comp purposes only, it comes with suction cups for the windshield, and that small hole in the middle is where the metering takes place:

this is a great setup. the cables are regular USB cables, and CAT5 cables, so if i need different lengths, it's easy to change them. my only gripe is that i think it should have been made to run on 12 volts DC, so you don't need an inverter or long extension cord oh well, i'll pick up an inverter tomorrow, since i'll use it for the meter and my laptop

here's proof that a set of 8's running off 200 watts is a decent setup:

.65 cu ft box tuned to 38 hz. i burped it at 58, since that was the peak freq. 49 had a little peak to it, and i'll do some testing to see exactly where my resonant freq for my car is. the box is in the back part of the trunk facing the rear. with an audio control meter it would have been in the mid to upper 130's, since the term lab is such a stiff meter. it's usually 1 dB lower than linearX meters, which used to be the toughest. on average it's 6-7 dB's lower than a calibrated audio control meter.

i also picked up a craftsman clamp meter, that reads AC/DC voltage, AC/DC amperage, resistance, and temp. another hundred bucks to test stuff with:p:

not next week, but the following week i'm building a box for 4 of the TB 8's for daily driving, till i get my brahma back. i'll be running them off 1100 watts, and tuned lower in a 2 cu ft box. i'm guestimating very high 130's, and possibly low 140's out of it on the term lab

Comment

Working...
                X