Does anybodys trunk leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anybodys trunk leak

I have a problem i though it was the rubber piece around my trunk but it is not, it look like a filter or both sides of my trunk what are they? They look like there old or already old what can i do to stop the leaking from outside water coming into my trunk...and could someone please tell how to put my picture of my car on this page l
    l
    \/
    Ratrod

heh, those well hidden 'filters' are in fact vents on either side of your trunk. one could fathom the need for such a thing, but if you seem to think it's leaking water in, just pull the damn things out.. just pull the top piece of each vent and you'll be left with a 2.5 x 5 inch hole (guessing, don't remember) just seal it up with some duct tape.. or like i've used small pieces of dynamat i had left over. this solution is well hidden enough that any means of sealing the hole won't look tacky. and even so, you can always cover the area with carpet or something. good luck
    peace

attatched is a poor picture, but one never the less of the trunk vent. it is spray painted black in this picture and my trunk is completely devoid of plastic paneling (this is a good note for all you sound heads out there, the paneling is a good source of noise.
    Attached Files

Comment

A few members have had this problem and have found that the tailight gasket was bad and that's where the water was getting in. Might be something worth looking into. I know that I personally had this problem when I took out my 90-91 style tailights and swapped them for a set of 92-94 style.

Adam
      1991 Protege GTR
      #1739 of 2500

Disclaimer: The "Protege GTR" is a custom car. Mazda never made this vehicle.
      1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
      MODS:
      GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
      TO DO LIST:
      EDM/JDM rear bumper
      EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
      Repaint car

Comment

Thanks but are they for? i had my car for 2 years and im still finding new things in my car everyday. I try to fix it. But ya didnt tell me how to put a picture of my car one my questions haha
        Ratrod

Comment

I think the trunk vents are there to try help equalize air pressure in your car. You don't need your head (or your trunk contents) to explode when you drive into the mountains.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Taillight gaskets

Comment

when you are responding to a message and you want to put an image in, look on the left hand side and you'll see below the text box something that says (attach file).. you can send a picture up to 100kb's using this, eitherwise for your signature, you have to find a host that allows you to link images directly to our board. the best way to do this is to use http://www.imagestation.com and sign up for an account there. once you upload the image, put it into a gallery, view the gallery and click on the picture you want to upload... take the link, remove the .orig.jpg or whatever from the end of the link and post that link directly into your signature/post using image html tags (ie blah blah.. someone post the link to the howto.. i'm too lazy, but that is in essence how you add an image.

as far as the vents.. the protege is about as air tight as a pasta strainer.. i don't think your heads gonna explode driving into the mountains charles :p: .. and even so, i live on the east cost.. the mountains west of the mississippi are equivalent to that of B cup titties.. the rocky's.. we're talkin C and D cup tits. there's a good analogy that even YOU can understand slacker :p:

and here is an example of what i was talking about.. posting this image link http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...3.jpg.orig.jpg
              this sucker ain't going to pop up into your post or signature

as opposed to posting this image link
              Get the best of SEO, WordPress, and Blogging with detailed guides, reviews, and comparisons articles. With our insightful articles select the right products and follow our tested strategies to grow your business.

only this image shows up, you have to remove .orig.jpg from the end of the link you recieve.
              peace
              Last edited by Guest; 12-10-2003, 05:43 PM.

Comment

damn, and 3rd gens leak too. Similar post like this one is over at mazdamp3.com and same **** with 3rd gen.

go figure
                Want Projector Headlights ?

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                  I think the trunk vents are there to try help equalize air pressure in your car. You don't need your head (or your trunk contents) to explode when you drive into the mountains.
                  Close. Actally, they serve two primary purposes. The first is to allow the air you suck in with the climate control escape (when it's not on recirculate), and the second is to let the pressure out when you close (slam?) the doors or trunk. Without the vents, you'd need to keep the seals in the doors loose to let out the air. Of course, with its coupes, BMW actually drops the windows when you open the door and then rolls them up when you close them to make a tighter seal.
                  David Avard
                  '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                  '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                  '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

Originally posted by Davard
                    Close. Actally, they serve two primary purposes. The first is to allow the air you suck in with the climate control escape (when it's not on recirculate), and the second is to let the pressure out when you close (slam?) the doors or trunk. Without the vents, you'd need to keep the seals in the doors loose to let out the air. Of course, with its coupes, BMW actually drops the windows when you open the door and then rolls them up when you close them to make a tighter seal.
                    A-ha! I remember seeing that on a BMW. But what happens if the motor stops working??
                    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

yea thanks for the advise and what to do but yesterday it rained and it was bad , there was water in my trunk and under my bad seats, when it rains the water drains to my seats, but im about to take them ****s out and tack a piece of metal this problem is the worst thing that is happin to my pro.

Last edited by ProjectProtege; 12-11-2003, 01:18 PM.
                      Ratrod

Comment

*bump* just found out I had the same problem..going to check into the Taillight seals.
                        Big Dreams, Small Budget!

Comment

look for holes in your wheel wells as well that was a cuase for my back seat swiming pool, as for the trunk i replaced my seal and never had it happen again
                          No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

my right rear taillight stays constantly illed with water. I cant seem to get it out ever. I was thinking that the taillight seal was the problem, so I am gonna pull the tail and silicone that biatch.
                            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Yeah everytime that it rains here, which isn't much, but here lately it has been, my back floor and trunk get flooded....I always find pools of water in the trunk under the carpet where the "filters" are....so that might be a source for the water coming in, I don't see how the water would leak to my fllor though..

Comment

Working...
                              X