Good Gosh and By Golly!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Gosh and By Golly!!!

Patience, if you will, my new compadres...

It's been a long time since I belonged to any kind of "group", but I did a ton of online research before I purchased my "new" Protege DX (1994), am so far very pleased, but wanted to consult & converse with folks "in-the-know" while becoming familiar with the beast. I purchased a the 5-speed with an in-line 4 cylinder 1.8 liter transverse (16 valve), 160,000 miles, spotless inside AND under the hood (yes, I'm having the timing belt inspected), seems to have GREAT pick up, and am looking for any insight on rear-end lift kits, after-market stereo install (original AM/FM cassette is passable, blown speaker on driver side, I already have a new Pioneer AM/FM/CD in the closet), but after owning an '86 XT Turbo SE, I want to fix this car up, give it a PERSONALITY, ya know?? Am also looking for "Marvin the Martian" Decals & Accessories (please, don't laugh!) and hope you friendly folk can advise as to where to look for the best info!! Have mercy on the new kid!!

Welcome to the club!

Since you have the B8, most guys will tell you to swap in the BP(dohc) motor or go straight to swapping in the turbocharged BP, i.e. the GTX that was only sold overseas, but fairly easy to get here in the US.

Turbo = Fun

--Ferdi
    Last edited by ftjandra; 10-06-2007, 02:28 AM. Reason: Confused the B8-E(8-valve) with the B8-ME(16-valve)
    If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
    -----
    Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
    Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
    Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

I looked under the hood, & had my mechainc check it....it's the sohc, with 16 valves. I found a little bit of info (non-conclusive) at http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...-protege-6.htm

Comment

Sorry...let me reiterate. I haven't taken it in to my personal mechanic yet, I had my mother's "boy toy" (who knows a bit about muscle cars, but NOTHING about imports)check it out... upon visual examination, he said he thought it was a single overhead, but at 16 valves (printed right on the block) I'm inclined to believe you're correct...dohc as opposed to sohc. Again, I'm a novice in the new, exciting & wonderful world of Mazda, which is why I decided to join this forum!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ftjandra View Post
          Welcome to the club! I am confused on which engine you have. The DX models came with the 'B8', which is a sohc and only has 8 valves. The LX came with the BP, which is a dohc and has 16 valves. There is a 16-valve sohc motor, but it wasn't sold in the US.
          the b8-me is a 16-valve, single cam engine
          the B8-me is what was in the protege dx, I have one and it is a 16-valve motor, and as stated by marvin, it is printed right on the valve cover, oh yeah I live in the U.S.
          LINK TO THE LARGER VERSION
          Last edited by hit25cal; 10-06-2007, 02:26 AM.
          Daily Driver--'07 Traitor Corolla--Traded for a '11 Chevy Cruze--Traded for a '12 Dodge Charger
          Project Car - looking for a clean AWD Protege, or maybe a monster Miata donor

Comment

Ah crap, I got confused with which sohc motor the US got. You have the B8-ME which is the 16-valve sohc and not the B8-E which only has 8 valves. You would have known if it was a dohc, it says it right on the valve cover .

Edit: 3 minutes too late to correct myself, lol.
            If you can't differentiate between brake and break, you should go back to school
            -----
            Miscellaneous Pics of Turbo Protege Build
            Big Front Brake Install using Wilwood Calipers
            Factory Service Manuals and Familia Brochures - PDF

Comment

Working...
            X