Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

supercharge or turbocharge?

Hello fellow Mazda'ers
    I am new here, and I own a 01 Pro with the 1.6L DOHC engine. Love the car, mods so far are Mazdaspeed lowering springs, 16" alum. alloy wheels with Yokohama 205/45-16 VR tires, and some cockpit mods...

Now my problem is this car is slooow compared to my previous car (93 Toyota corolla with a swapped in 4a-ge 20 valve blacktop engine, redline 8000 rpm, 160hp at flywheel).

So now I have two options: 1)supercharge, 2)turbocharge. The cost for both projects is about the same: $2500, give or take a couple hundred bucks. I am a doctor and the cost is not an issue here.

So lets have it folks, which route is better, more reliable, and more fun!?
    mota mazda

biknman on this forum is actually selling his 1.6 turbo kit, here's the link:

I have seen his car with this kit, and I'd say it is a very good setup.

unfortunately as of right now this is the only kit I know of that works with the 1.6 motor. Most of the turbo developments have been made on the 2.0 FS motor.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Hi Zoom
      Thanks for the quick reply.

Actually, I already saw that post about the turbo kit for sale, but I do not want to buy one that is used.

Take a look at ardperformance.com and you will find turbo kits for all kinds of mazdas! I was thinking along the lines of the extreme performance kit with the T25 turbo and intercooler.

Tell me what you think.
      mota mazda

Comment

give me a link and i'll tell you what i think.

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

here is the link:

sorry if I don't know how to make the link active yet... he he

go to the performance section, and see the turbo kits
          mota mazda

Comment

Damn I was wondering myself about a supercharger for our 1.6l engine. I guess thats a thing of the distant future..if at all
            Sagaris

Comment

ok i just went to ardperformance and looked at the turbo kits listed.

they are ALL for the B series motors, which is TOTALLY different from the ZM-DE 1.6 motor in the 3rd gens.

btw, have you seen Edwin's world famous FAQ? This is probably the most comprehensive FAQ for all Proteges of ALL TIME

yes Edwin I accept paypal payments for my shameless endorsements :D

'04 Titanium RX-8

Comment

Thanks zoom

That was very enlightening, maybe even saved me from making a grave mistake.

Nice link to Edwin's page too. Cool.
                mota mazda

Comment

well i guess im sort of biased, but id say turbo... an SC is more parasitic than a TC... they both 'rob' power to make power, but the SC will rob power from ur crankshaft, which is fine if u have a v8, but not as good for us 4-cyl guys.. not to mention the ease with which u can up the boost on a TC engine.. to do that on an SC engine, u will need to buy a new pulley for it... it all depends on what u want. if u go with a SC, ull have boost all the time, but usually not a lot... with a TC engine, ull have to wait for ur turbo to spool, but in my experience, they always pull a lot harder and have a much broader powerbanc (IF the setup is engineered correctly!!!)
                  "Squirrels are evil because they have thumbs."
                  - Chick McGee

Comment

I partially agree with your line of thinking Skullet. However, there are some points in favor of supercharging, in my opinion. For example, it would be much easier to install, you would not need a exhaust manifold, and you would also not necessarily need to have a intercooler . Further, as you said, there would be absolutely no lag, which means as soon as you punch it, you're gone! I have driven supercharged cars, they are simply amazing.

The only drawback to the SC is the fact that it is belt-driven, however, if you simply bolt on the SC in place of the say, power steering pump, it wouldn't make any difference, just swapping one belt-driven accessory for another. And you could add a electric power steering pump if the steering becomes too heavy for your taste!
                    mota mazda

Comment

with all of the TC cars around here, thats partially why im biased, and the ease of adjustment... we will actually be doing a test on the owners of my other forums civic hatch... a local business owner is gonna front the cash for both a jr SC & a comparably priced turbo kit for his b18c1, and were gonna install one, dyno it, run it, etc, and then do the other, and do the same tests on it.. just becuz theres a big argument over which one is better... heheh... mainly i just enjoy it becuz my almost stock prot can pull on an SC civic, and i cant come CLOSE to a turbo one... (altho the other night i beat my frenz turbo del slo... :D)
                      - Chick McGee

Comment

Too bad superchargers aren't available for any Protege.

Wings West had one custom-made by Vortech for their show car, though.

Comment

theyre not available at ALL?? thats kinda ****ty....
                          - Chick McGee

Comment

id say supercharger simply because not as many people have one so it would be more original than aturbo would.. and well yea i dont know... I probably coulodnt figure out how to setup a turbo after it was all installed :/ i would get aggrevated and just leave it running rich or lean all the time cuz thats just me

Comment

Yea as far as I know you can't get a pre-built supercharger for any model Protege...no point in arguing its advantages.

Comment

Working...
                              X