brake adjustment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brake adjustment?

hello! It's about the car in my signature. I use Goodyear Hydragrip in summer and some cheap Matador M+S in winter. Now I have noticed that with my Hydragrips I can't block my wheels while driving. I can brake like crazy and the wheels just won't block (no ABS). The thing is that car stops smoothly and everything, but on a dry asphalt I can't block them with Hydragrips. Matadors are cheap and slippy so they are no problem.

Is there something wrong with brake adjustment (should I reset it?) or is it just the tire performance difference? I have been really satisfied with GY since my car has better handling on them. But what's the deal... should I try new brake pads set?
    Garage: Mazda Protege 1995, Z5 engine, MTX, P/S, no A/C, no ABS.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

that sounds like a tire performance issue. If you change nothing as far as brakes when switching tires, then you should get the same braking. I know i can lock up my all seasons, but with my summers, i can't. You probably just get better dry grip with the hydragrips then you do with the matadors.
    sigpic

Comment

Hm, interesting. I'm very satisfied to hear that. Brakes should be all around fine b/c 2 weeks ago I had the car inspenction and it went smoothly.

PM me if you need: comprehensive Autodata information; Mazda's 2nd generation workshop manual; Mazda's Z5 overhaul workshop manual.

Comment

Does the front brake caliper also have an adjusting allen wrench screw on the backside like rear calipers on rear disc brakes? I have rear drum brakes but I was wondering if fron calipers have that adjusting screw.

Comment

I don t think they do

Comment

How do I solve the brake dragging problem then? I can hear the hissing when I rotate the wheel or just the hub when the wheel is removed. Still, front caliper.

Comment

Working...
            X