Fuel slosh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel slosh

How much of an issue is that for everybody? I haven't been driving my 4wd for very long, so I don't know what's normal and what indicates a problem. If I make a left turn from a stop, for example, sometimes I'll get fuel cut. It doesn't happen if I turn right. It also happens once in a while when I drive over bumps. I've done this with as much as half a tank.

Should I get used to it or do a have a fuel pump/transfer pump problem?
    1990 Protege 4WD
    GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
    ├┼┤
    2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

I would get it below quarter tank after I installed the Walbro under boost ... kinda scary but now I keep the fuel level up.

Comment

In my old Protege GT's I would get fuel cut at about 3/8's of a tank while using r compound tires. I have yet to drive my 4wd so I don't know if thats typical for these cars. You could get some fuel tank foam... it should help if its actually a fuel slosh problem.
      -Dave

Comment

What about twin fuel pumps instead of fuel pump/transfer pump setup? Anybody tried it?
        1990 Protege 4WD
        GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
        ├┼┤
        2 4 R

Comment

that's funny. never once have I had fuel cut problems. put 14gal in driving hard the whole way.
          No car! I soldz it. Now I have a truck. I like it, but apparently it has a hard time keeping up with a slightly modified 4WD protege with half the hp. Neat.

Comment

Yeah you have a transfer pump issue.
            '90 AWD Protege, full GTR drivetrain swap, ~320 whp daily driver, RIP, and
            '90 AWD Protege, yet another GTR swap, Open class rallycar with a Toyota GT4 gearbox swap, thus crossing the line between hobby and mental illness. And a Brabus E55 K8, removing all doubt.
            http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/vbpi...?do=view&g=110
            http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2599486

Comment

I will agree with Jay, you have a transfer pump problem. I have never had a fuel cut problem with low fuel levels. I do think that my transfer pump is not keeping up with the regular pump when my level gets low. According to my owners manual I have a 15.? gallon fuel tank and when my low fuel light comes on I will fill it and it only takes about 10 gallons to fill.
              I would say your transfer pump is not turning on
              jason
              Yes Its 4wd woot woot
              sigpic

My Vb Gallery

Comment

2X with Jay.

Never had fuel issues with the 4WD. 2WD is a different story.
                To check the transfer pump, turn ignition to on without starting and wait for 10 sec. After 10 sec, you should hear a relay tick under the drivers's seat and a slight humming (tranfer pump turns on). Let us know the results

Comment

Yeah you have a transfer pump issue.
                  2X with Jay.

To check the transfer pump, turn ignition to on without starting and wait for 10 sec. After 10 sec, you should hear a relay tick under the drivers's seat and a slight humming (tranfer pump turns on). Let us know the results
                  Thanks, that is encouraging.

I will agree with Jay, you have a transfer pump problem. I have never had a fuel cut problem with low fuel levels. I do think that my transfer pump is not keeping up with the regular pump when my level gets low. According to my owners manual I have a 15.? gallon fuel tank and when my low fuel light comes on I will fill it and it only takes about 10 gallons to fill.
                  I would say your transfer pump is not turning on
                  The min. flow rate for the transfer pump is 5.7 psi according to FSM. I don't know how it keeps up with the main pump.

Thanks everybody for your help. I'm glad it is a problem I can fix and not one I'm stuck with.
                  1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                  ├┼┤
                  2 4 R

Comment

Originally posted by me109 View Post
                    Thanks, that is encouraging.

The min. flow rate for the transfer pump is 5.7 psi according to FSM. I don't know how it keeps up with the main pump.

Thanks everybody for your help. I'm glad it is a problem I can fix and not one I'm stuck with.
                    The transfer pump is just feeding another tank, high pressure isn't needed. The main pump does higher pressure because its feading the injectors.
                    -Dave

Comment

Originally posted by 323driver View Post
                      2X with Jay.

OK my transfer pump does turn on, but it seems like it's not working fast enough. I think I might have a partial blockage somewhere. I'll try changing the transfer pump filter and see what that does.

Thanks for the help. Any more ideas are welcome.
                      1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Comment

OK I think it's the 10 sec. delay that is screwing me. It should have been instant on with a 10 sec. minimum run time, but I dont know how to change that.

Anyway, after doing some research, it seems to be a pretty common problem for the BF/BG GT-X after all. I found a solution that I'll have to try soon on this site:

I hope this is useful information for the 4wd community.
                        1990 Protege 4WD

1 3 5
                        ├┼┤
                        2 4 R

Comment

Working...
                        X