calling all electronic know it all's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

calling all electronic know it all's

i was testing out an idea for using a diode/rectifier to isolate a capacitor on each headlight. well, i found out a 1/2 farad capacitor won't do much. the voltage starts at 15.82 (charged it off my cordless drill battery), and drops to about 9 volts in half a second. while that might be enough to prevent a little headlight dimming, using 1 farad of capacitors just for the headlights seems retarded. anyways, i decided to try my batcap300. specs can be found on www.batcap.net when i first charged it off the drill battery i didn't check the voltage. i connected the same 100 watt H3 halogen bulb to it, and after over a minute of the light staying bright as hell i disconnected it. then i charged it again, or so i thought and hooked my volt meter to it. nothing. i hooked the light to it, nothing again. then i noticed that the negative terminal was loose, so i took the batcap apart. sure enough the solder broke ok, now i'll get to the point. i measured the individual voltage of each cell in the batcap, and they are just under 2 volts. since there are 6 of them, they total up to just under 12 volts. 11.92 for the second test. i'm going to try charging it off my car tomorrow and see if the voltage increases. i want to know what these cells are, and where i can get some from. i'd like to make a 14 volt version. to me 12 volts is pointless, since the regular battery is 12.8. and if the batcap does work more like a capacitor, then having 14 volts, and charging it with just over 14 volts won't have the same negative effect as a regular battery. any other thoughts are much appreciated. here are the pics of the batcap:

I'm far from an electronic know-it-all and the only thing I know about Batcaps is what I read on their website and can assume from your photos. Since it looks like the cells are completely separate, could you simply take a cell from another Batcap and connect it in series with the 6 you already have? This would give you ~ 14 V. If this is possible, my only question is would the stock alternator put out a high enough voltage to charge this set-up? According to the FSM for 02 Proteges, the term B voltage at idle can vary from 13-15 V and the standard reference current is measured at 13.5 V for test purposes. However, I believe you have a rewound alternator which may put out more than normal voltage.

I don't know if any of this is useful but it's about all I could come up with at this point.
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

yeah, i had thought about getting another batcap and taking one cell out, but that's not very economically wise i picked mine up for $120 off a buddy of mine, but they usually sell for $180. i'd like to know exactly what each cell is, if it's a cap, a battery, or what then i'd make my own at 14 volts. and my theory on using a 14 volt one is that a regular battery needs at least 1 volt over it's resting voltage to keep it working, i believe. but if the batcap is like a cap in the aspect of keeping it charged, it doesn't need any set voltage to maintain it. so using the alternator i'm having custom built, it'd be getting 14.6 volts up front, and a little less if it was in the trunk. further testing will tell me more i was also thinking that if i can find a supplier of those cells, i might be able to find ones that are just over 2 volts. say 2.25 volts. then use 6 of them, and get a 13.5 volt batcap:p:

Comment

Working...
      X